Aug 25, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
With Angel Di Maria currently jetting to Manchester to tie up a record $100 million deal with United, the Red Devils plan on flying in a few more players to wrap up transfer deals before the Sept. 2 deadline.
According to a report from the Daily Telegraph, Dutchmen Nigel de Jong and Daley Blind — both of whom played for new United boss Louis van Gaal at the World Cup this summer — are set to join Di Maria and bolster United’s squad.
[RELATED: United ‘not good enough’]
A potential move for Juventus’ Arturo Vidal is also in the works but the Italian side are reluctant to sale, so De Jong could come in as a contingency buy for around $14 million. As for Blind, he is likely to cost around $20 million as the versatile young Ajax star can play in a variety of positions in midfield and defense and would add some real quality to United’s squad.
[RELATED: Welbeck to Everton?]
If the Red Devils succeed in getting these two players signed on, in addition to Di Maria, can you call their transfer window a roaring success? I’d say so. With Ander Herrera, Luke Shaw and Marcus Rojo on board, the addition of Di Maria, De Jong and Blind plus the culling of some deadwood means LVG will have strengthened his squad considerably. In their opening two games United have struggled with injuries but now that the treatment table is starting to empty and new faces are arriving, there should be a sense of optimism arriving at Old Trafford.
The final week of the transfer window promises to be an exciting one for United’s fan, as van Gaal also looks to move on the likes of Danny Welbeck, Javier Hernandez, Anderson, Shinji Kagawa and Tom Cleverley, who all face uncertain futures.
United’s dramatic rebuild, which they’ve threatened for so long, is inching towards becoming a reality as three new faces could arrive in the coming days.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Can Spurs, Man City find hope versus Newcastle, West Ham? 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea closer to title; Leicester climb off the bottom 0
- Despite defeat to Chelsea, Louis van Gaal hails Manchester United’s “best match of season” 1
- Three things we learned from Chelsea’s win vs. Manchester United 2
- Chelsea 1-0 Manchester United: Hazard leads defensive Blues past Red Devils (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-1 Reading: Alexis helps Gunners clinch FA Cup final berth 0