Aug 26, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Manchester United and Chelsea were both linked with AS Roma defender Mehdi Benatia over this summer’s transfer window, but Pep has pipped them.
Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola has sealed the deal to bring Benatia, 27, to the Bundesliga on a five-year deal. The move looks to have been triggered by Roma’s ability to snare Arsenal target Kostas Manolas to take Benatia’s spot, though that move is unconfirmed as of now.
Sure, you may’ve read The Daily Star’s headline earlier today claiming Manchester United and Arsenal were in a two-horse race for Benatia and that Manolas was all but a Gunner as well but it’s called silly season for a reason.
[ RELATED: Tuesday’s transfer rumor roundup ]
Benatia can play, 31 times capped for Morocco and a mainstay in Serie A with Udinese before joining Roma last season. He’s netted five times in 33 league matches for i Lupi, has good size and a solid work rate.
He’ll join a back line with Jerome Boateng, Dante, Rafinha, Juan Bernat, David Alaba and Holger Badstuber.
The move could have a ripple effect for Arsenal, as both the Gunners and Roma have been reportedly after young defender Kostas Manolas.
Several outlets are reporting that Manolas will join Roma from Olympiacos for jost over $17 million. Fellow Greek defender Vasilis Torosidis is a member of Roma’s back line, which also includes Ashley Cole and Maicon.
— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) August 26, 2014
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3