Aug 26, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Manchester United and Chelsea were both linked with AS Roma defender Mehdi Benatia over this summer’s transfer window, but Pep has pipped them.
Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola has sealed the deal to bring Benatia, 27, to the Bundesliga on a five-year deal. The move looks to have been triggered by Roma’s ability to snare Arsenal target Kostas Manolas to take Benatia’s spot, though that move is unconfirmed as of now.
Sure, you may’ve read The Daily Star’s headline earlier today claiming Manchester United and Arsenal were in a two-horse race for Benatia and that Manolas was all but a Gunner as well but it’s called silly season for a reason.
[ RELATED: Tuesday’s transfer rumor roundup ]
Benatia can play, 31 times capped for Morocco and a mainstay in Serie A with Udinese before joining Roma last season. He’s netted five times in 33 league matches for i Lupi, has good size and a solid work rate.
He’ll join a back line with Jerome Boateng, Dante, Rafinha, Juan Bernat, David Alaba and Holger Badstuber.
The move could have a ripple effect for Arsenal, as both the Gunners and Roma have been reportedly after young defender Kostas Manolas.
Several outlets are reporting that Manolas will join Roma from Olympiacos for jost over $17 million. Fellow Greek defender Vasilis Torosidis is a member of Roma’s back line, which also includes Ashley Cole and Maicon.
— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) August 26, 2014
- Carli Lloyd proves she’s the Women’s World Cup hero she always knew she would be 1
- Mission accomplished: Abby Wambach gets her World Cup title 0
- United States wins third Women’s World Cup title, beats Japan on record-smashing day 22
- VIDEO: Lloyd seals amazing 16 minute hat trick with wonder goal from halfway 2
- Sunday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Manchester City ready to spend, Spurs agree for Alderweireld 0
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 2