Aug 26, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Angel Di Maria has cost Manchester United a British transfer record of more than $98 million from Real Madrid.
It’s been quite a year for Di Maria. He was the Man of the Match at the UEFA Champions League final and scored a memorable 118th minute winner for Argentina against Switzerland in the knockout rounds of the World Cup.
He’s an Olympic gold medal winner, a La Liga title winner, a UCL winner and a World Cup runner-up. And now he’ll be providing service and opening up the field for Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Juan Mata.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) August 26, 2014
Louis van Gaal’s comments were glowing, “Angel is a world-class midfielder… there’s no doubting his immense natural talent. His dribbling skills and ability to beat opponents are a joy to watch. He’s an excellent addition.”
Look out, Premier League, Manchester United just improved its service ten-fold.
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1