Aug 26, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Angel Di Maria has cost Manchester United a British transfer record of more than $98 million from Real Madrid.
It’s been quite a year for Di Maria. He was the Man of the Match at the UEFA Champions League final and scored a memorable 118th minute winner for Argentina against Switzerland in the knockout rounds of the World Cup.
He’s an Olympic gold medal winner, a La Liga title winner, a UCL winner and a World Cup runner-up. And now he’ll be providing service and opening up the field for Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Juan Mata.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) August 26, 2014
Louis van Gaal’s comments were glowing, “Angel is a world-class midfielder… there’s no doubting his immense natural talent. His dribbling skills and ability to beat opponents are a joy to watch. He’s an excellent addition.”
Look out, Premier League, Manchester United just improved its service ten-fold.
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 3