Aug 26, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Angel Di Maria has cost Manchester United a British transfer record of more than $98 million from Real Madrid.
It’s been quite a year for Di Maria. He was the Man of the Match at the UEFA Champions League final and scored a memorable 118th minute winner for Argentina against Switzerland in the knockout rounds of the World Cup.
He’s an Olympic gold medal winner, a La Liga title winner, a UCL winner and a World Cup runner-up. And now he’ll be providing service and opening up the field for Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Juan Mata.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) August 26, 2014
Louis van Gaal’s comments were glowing, “Angel is a world-class midfielder… there’s no doubting his immense natural talent. His dribbling skills and ability to beat opponents are a joy to watch. He’s an excellent addition.”
Look out, Premier League, Manchester United just improved its service ten-fold.
- Bundesliga wrap: Hamburg holds Bayern; Newly-promoted club atop league 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 1
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0
- Watch live: West Ham United vs. Liverpool (Lineups) 0