Aug 26, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
It’s happening, it’s pricey and it’s all but official: Manchester United has agreed to pay a whopping $98.9 million to pry Angel Di Maria away from Real Madrid.
The fee is a British transfer record, 9.7 million pounds more than the record set by Chelsea in acquiring Fernando Torres from Liverpool in 2011. It’s $37 million more than United spent to snag Juan Mata from Chelsea in January.
Di Maria, 26, brings United’s summer spending bill to nearly $220 million, but will provide great service and tremendous 1v1 ability to the Red Devils attack.
[ RELATED: USMNT’s Cameron wanted by numerous PL clubs, Lazio ]
Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti is not pleased, but confirmed the departure on Sunday. From the BBC:
“Di Maria has not trained with us today and he came in to say goodbye to the players and people at the club,” said Real boss Carlo Ancelotti on Sunday.
“The decision is his and the club has done what it could to keep him here.”
It’s been quite a year for Di Maria. He was the Man of the Match at the UEFA Champions League final and scored a memorable 118th minute winner for Argentina against Switzerland in the knockout rounds of the World Cup.
From the BBC‘s Andy Brassell:
“He is not a Real Madrid reject by any stretch of the imagination. They want him to go because he wouldn’t accept the situation of getting the wages he is getting at the moment, which is much less than Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale. (Real coach) Carlo Ancelotti wanted to keep him. He was one of their best players during the second half of last season. Di Maria is so determined.
Di Maria is set for a medical this morning, and will be unveiled by United shortly afterward. He would be available for this weekend’s match against Burnley. Stay tuned as the reports become official transfer business.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 1
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 6
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3