Aug 27, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Anticipating his transfer from Ligue 1 side Lyon to Swansea, Gomis says that performed due diligence about the manager, players and even the history of the club from the popular simulation game.
“I play a lot of Football Manager,” Gomis said. “During my time with my previous club, we travelled quite a bit for European matches. Therefore, I used my spare time on the plane to play. I’ve been playing the game ever since my development stages, but I have found it very helpful in helping me find out more about Swansea.”
Gomis claims he spent a month playing as Swansea to learn more about his future team. “Before I signed here, I spent a month playing as Swansea to help me get to know my team-mates – to find out a bit more about them. Of course, I also watched video footage to see how the team played, but it is true that the game helped me learn a lot about each of my team-mates’ characteristics – their age, where they used to play and their attributes.
“I also learned about the history of the club. I believe that, when signing for a club, it’s vital that you learn about its history. It was important to know what kind of club Swansea are, their rivalry with Cardiff City, as well as other such things. I realized that the manager Garry Monk was a key player for Swansea, who helped the club rise to the top division of English football.”
Claiming that he brought the club to a virtual Premier League finish of 8th place, Gomis said he took note that there were some very good players in the squad. “When I joined the team in Chicago, it didn’t take long for me to notice that this was also true in real-life. I am very happy I made the choice to join Swansea.”
Gomis went on to say that he was loving life in the Premier League and with Swansea City, where the 29-year-old has played in 3 matches thus far, opening his scoring account in the 1-0 win over Rotherham United in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday night.
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1