Aug 27, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT
Following Manchester United’s embarrassing 4-0 defeat in the second round of the League Cup to Milton Keynes Dons on Tuesday, yeah, that happened, the British press have hammered Louis van Gaal and his team.
Here is van Gaal’s take on the shocking defeat, which will go down as one of the worst in club history in just his third official game in charge as boss.
“I am not shocked. Because I know what can happen,” van Gaal said. “A new team is not built in one month. I also think Milton Keynes played very well, very aggressively and they had a little bit of luck with the goals.”
[RELATED: Van Gaal urges patience, belief from fans]
Yeah, van Gaal wasn’t getting away that easy. Below is a collection of back pages from across the UK on Wednesday.
Ouch. No pretty viewing for LVG and United’s fans.
Here is The Sun’s take…
The Times say United are in a ‘crisis’ with Di Maria on board…
While the Independent simply state MK Dons 4, LVG 0…
The Daily Star pictured new signing Di Maria, but say he may have regrets…
- Captain Clint fires Seattle Sounders to US Open Cup crown in 3-1 extra time win over Philadelphia 0
- Report: FA to overhaul work permit rules to cut down on non-EU players 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 4
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0