Aug 27, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Reports across Europe claim that Xabi Alonso has reached an agreement with Bayern Munich. The shocking news of his impending departure from Real Madrid was first revealed on TV channel LaSexta and has set Twitter alight.
The 32-year-old has been the talk of minor transfer rumors this summer, with Manchester United reportedly interested, but for the most part a move to Germany has flown under the radar.
On the pitch there wasn’t much to indicate a move as Alonso featured in both Super Cup derbies against Atletico Madrid. He was, however, held out of the starting lineup in last Monday’s fixture against Cordoba.
If Alonso does make the move to Bayern he will link up with Pep Guardiola, who he faced in a number of El Clasicos from the manager’s time at Barcelona. With the Bavarian giants Alonso would provide additional strength to a holding midfield trio of Bastian Schweinsteiger, Philip Lahm and Thiago Alcantara.
Assuming the move out of Madrid does transpire for Alonso it will make for a busy day after the Spaniard announced his retirement from the National Team just three hours ago.
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 0
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2