Aug 27, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Reports across Europe claim that Xabi Alonso has reached an agreement with Bayern Munich. The shocking news of his impending departure from Real Madrid was first revealed on TV channel LaSexta and has set Twitter alight.
The 32-year-old has been the talk of minor transfer rumors this summer, with Manchester United reportedly interested, but for the most part a move to Germany has flown under the radar.
On the pitch there wasn’t much to indicate a move as Alonso featured in both Super Cup derbies against Atletico Madrid. He was, however, held out of the starting lineup in last Monday’s fixture against Cordoba.
If Alonso does make the move to Bayern he will link up with Pep Guardiola, who he faced in a number of El Clasicos from the manager’s time at Barcelona. With the Bavarian giants Alonso would provide additional strength to a holding midfield trio of Bastian Schweinsteiger, Philip Lahm and Thiago Alcantara.
Assuming the move out of Madrid does transpire for Alonso it will make for a busy day after the Spaniard announced his retirement from the National Team just three hours ago.
- Premier League Round 4: Goals of the week 0
- Hull City 2-2 West Ham United: Debut goals a-plenty in fun draw 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Brek Shea assists in Birmingham debut (video) 0
- Champions League preview: How will the four Premier League teams get on? 0
- Watch live: Hull City vs. West Ham United (Lineups) 0
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United shine bright like a diamond 0