Aug 27, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Top of the Premier League standings after two wins from two, Tottenham Hotspur are building on their early season success.
Mauricio Pochettino has moved to bring in his fifth signing as Spurs boss as his fellow Argentina Federico Fazio joins from Sevilla in a $14 million deal.
The central defender arrives at White Hart Lane on a four-year deal and will challenge the like of Younes Kaboul, Jan Vertonghen and Vlad Chiriches in the heart of Tottenham’s defense.
[RELATED: Transfer Rumor Roundup]
Spurs needed to strengthen in this area as club captain Michael Dawson left for Hull City on Tuesday after falling down the pecking order under Pochettino. Tottenham have replaced Dawson in lightning-quick time as Fazio arrives after spending seven seasons in La Liga with Sevilla.
The former Argentine U-20 standout, who won the U-20 World Cup and Olympic Gold at the Beijing Olympics alongside the likes of Lionel Messi in the past, is a ball-playing center back and at the age of 27 he still has his prime years ahead of him.
Fazio joins fellow new boys Eric Dier, DeAndre Yedlin (to arrive next Spring), Ben Davies and Michel Vorm at the Lane this summer, as Pochettino plans to crack the Premier League’s top four and succeed in the Europa League. The former Southampton boss has hit the ground running in North London and with new additions on board, plus the revitalization of several talented players who underachieved last season, a Champions League spot is certainly not a million miles away.
Spurs continue to strengthen.
- Arsenal’s defending depth fears could be on display against Dortmund 4
- UEFA Champions League group stage: PST staff’s preview and predictions 0
- Hull City 2-2 West Ham United: Debut goals a-plenty in fun draw 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Brek Shea assists in Birmingham debut (video) 0
- Champions League preview: How will the four Premier League teams get on? 0
- Watch live: Hull City vs. West Ham United (Lineups) 0