Aug 28, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
On Thursday Real Madrid and Portugal superstar Cristiano Ronaldo won UEFA’s ‘best player in Europe’ award for the first time in his career.
Ronaldo, 29, has been nominated for their award for four-straight seasons but had yet to collect the gong, until now.
Last season Ronaldo broke the record for the most goals scored in a single Champions League campaign, 17, as he led Real Madrid to the UCL title, their first since 2002, as the Spanish side completed ‘La Decima.’
In total he scored 51 goals in 47 matches for Real Madrid in the 2013-14 campaign and led Portugal’s national team to the 2014 World Cup.
The former Manchester United forward is the current World Player of the Year after picking up the FIFA Ballon d’Or in 2013.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0