Aug 29, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Arsene Wenger is never afraid to tell the media what he is thinking; but this time, he is staying quiet on purpose.
As the transfer window comes to a close, the longest-tenured manager in the Premier League is keeping his deals top-secret as rumors continue to swirl over Arsenal signing another top-class player.
With striker Olivier Giroud out three to four months following ankle surgery, many are calling for Wenger to sign another forward. But the manager is skeptical to splash out more cash, after spending nearly $60 million on Alexis Sanchez this summer. The Gunners have been linked with possible moves of Edinson Cavani from PSG or Radamel Falcao of Monaco, but time is running out as the transfer window closes September 1.
Giroud has been an excellent servant for the club, scoring 41 times in just over 100 appearances. A true striker, the French international has a nose for the net and his absence will be felt by Arsenal. If Wenger doesn’t go out and buy another striker, the critics will be out once again. But reading his recent comments, I don’t think he’ll care.
“Everybody is entitled to an opinion but that doesn’t necessarily mean that those opinions are right. The easiest thing to do is to have opinions.”
Don’t forget to tune in to the “Transfer Deadline Day Show” on NBCSN (Monday, 6-8 p.m. ET).
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 4
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0