Chelsea confirms two-year AC Milan loan for striker Fernando Torres

Aug 29, 2014, 2:43 PM EST

Torres Getty Images

Jose Mourinho wasn’t being straight with the media when he said his “squad is closed”. Who figured?

Chelsea announced on Friday that forward Fernando Torres is going on a two-year loan to AC Milan, mere hours after Mourinho said the Spaniard was going nowhere.

He adds fuel to an AC Milan attack that lost Mario Balotelli but has gained Jeremy Menez and now Torres to play with Keisuke Honda and company.

[ RELATED: Friday’s transfer rumor roundup ]

Milan is trying to rebound from a disastrous 2013/14, and Torres style could fit nicely into Serie A.

The deal is subject to Torres agreeing to terms and passing a medical.

1. geejon - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Best thing for all involved. In Italy he won’t be carrying the baggage that was his transfer fee. He’ll be replacing a player (Balotelli) they were all too happy to see go. He should also regain his scoring touch as the league suits his style of play better. He no longer has the blistering pace he had several years ago and has been quoted as moaning about how the EPL takes years out of your career because of its physical nature. In England he had been reduced to the punchline of jokes and now he can start fresh and I’m sure Chelsea already has someone lined up to come in and replace him .. someone who won’t have the weight of the world on them every time they get on the pitch.

• mebailey700 - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I agree completely. I think the 50m price tag around his neck added too much pressure for him to score especially considering his early struggles. He lost his confidence after missing a couple sitters and never seemed able to get his feet under him again. Hopefully he turns things around because he was one of my favorite players when he played for LFC.

2. mebailey700 - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I like this move for Torres hopefully a change of scenery can reignite his career.

3. egb234 - Aug 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I don’t know what it is, but I’ve always liked Torres. I know he never justified the fee, but he seemed like a team player–always played his hardest when it would have been easy for him to quit.

Mostly I’ll always remember his goal at Camp Nou. It was written in the stars…

4. mdac1012 - Aug 29, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I loved him when he was at Liverpool and have felt bad for the guy ever since he left. Not a bad guy, I think Serie A is just what he needs to jump start his career. Slower pace, less physical and like the others have said, not having the albatross of that transfer fee around his neck.

Preview: Arsenal vs. Manchester United