Aug 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Mario Balotelli has looked strong in training according to his new manager, but made it clear who runs the show at Anfield.
“This is not the Mario Balotelli show. He has a lot of work to do and the star of this team will always be the team.”
Brendan Rodgers will certainly be keen to get Mario Balotelli into the Liverpool lineup to try and fill the void created when Luis Suarez left for Barcelona. While Balotelli is not in the same class as Suarez, he has shown flashes of brilliance throughout his career in both Italy and England. He admitted leaving England was a mistake and looks eager to rejuvenate his career in Liverpool.
After saying Balotelli looked ‘fantastic’ in training, Rodgers was quick to remind everyone that the young striker still needs to mature off the field. While he may have had troubles in the past, Rodgers does not believe it will disrupt the Liverpool squad.
“I don’t have any concerns at all [about Balotelli disrupting the Liverpool squad]. It won’t be affected. He comes with a reputation but we hope at our club we can curb that behaviour. He knows he is part of a team. There are no egos or big-time Charlies in our squad. This is a group that’s got to the Champions League because they are a team.”
Liverpool will need Balotelli to contribute as he could only watch from the stands as they lost to his former club Manchester City 3-1 over the weekend. A combination of Daniel Sturridge and Mario Balotelli could become a nightmare for opposing defenses if he can regain his form.
Balotelli looks set to make his Liverpool debut against Tottenham this Sunday, which can be seen live on NBCSN at 8:30 a.m. ET. Adam Lallana will also make his Liverpool debut after moving from Southampton this summer. The English international has been sidelined with a knee injury suffered during the Reds preseason tour in America.
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 0
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 1
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0