Aug 29, 2014, 3:59 PM EST
Brek Shea, now 24 years old, was one of the more promising American youngsters when he decided to leave MLS for Stoke City in the Premier League.
But unfortunately, his spell overseas hasn’t panned out well for him development-wise. He hasn’t seen enough playing time since he exited FC Dallas in 2012–a fee of $4 million needed to get the transfer underway.
His career could take a different short-term path, however. Sources told Goal USA that Southampton is interested in acquiring the services of the American winger, who hasn’t performed at all for the Potters this season. Earlier in the year, Shea went on an eight-game loan to Barnsley and scored no goals.
During this summer transfer window, the former Toros man has had interest from “German club FC Nürnberg, as well as a number of English Championship sides including Birmingham City and Millwall,” according to MLSsoccer.com.
If the Saints and Shea don’t agree on terms, then a relocation to the Eredivisie could serve the best possibility of ability advancement, considering the fact that the Dutch league is known for it’s capabilities geared toward developing technical quality. Shea is only 24 years old, and while some may believe that he’s a lost cause, player his football in a new scene may benefit him considerably.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0