Aug 29, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal arrived at the storied Premier League club, and so far, he’s faced early season struggles–a loss to Swansea City and a Capital One Cup drubbing at the hands of MK Dons. A 1-1 tie to Sunderland can also count against the Dutchman.
Tomorrow, Van Gaal and the Reds will hope to turn their fortune around, taking on Burnley, and one of the questions of the match will revolve around the availability of 19-year-old Luke Shaw, who left Southampton in July to further his status as a footballer at United.
England national team manager Roy Hodgson has said that he cautioned Shaw to pay attention to his fitness during the World Cup, but Van Gaal believes Hodgson is off the mark. According to the Netherlands head man, Shaw sustained a injury in August, after England was eliminated from Brazil.
“About Shaw I want to say something. I have read nasty articles about him. In the United States I said to him ‘you came not fit’,” Van Gaal said. “But I changed his program and he did everything that he was to do to be fit and now he is an example in the dressing room.”
“He is not fit now because he is injured but Roy Hodgson cannot judge at this moment. Roy Hodgson cannot judge him because I have never seen him here at a training session. I think that he refers to the World Cup but I don’t know. But now he (Shaw) is doing a great job.”
In fact, Shaw’s been great in practice, and Van Gaal let reporters know that he will honestly discuss the young defender.
“He is training fantastic, so when you want to write something then maybe you can ask me ‘is he doing his work or not?’ I am open. I answer the questions when you put a question to me.”
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 4
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 11
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 3
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2