Aug 30, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Mame Biram Diouf nutmegged Joe Hart on a full-field dribble in the 58th minute, and Stoke City withheld an onslaught of Manchester City attack to hold on for a 1-0 win at the Etihad Stadium.
Stoke now has four points on the season, while Man City stays at six points.
Manchester City dodged a bullet in the 20th minute, when Diouf was dropped by Martin Demichelis inside the box. No penalty was given at the Etihad, and Stoke boss Mark Hughes was furious.
Stoke’s one man up-top — Peter Crouch — showed that Hughes was ready to roll out a defensive approach against his old team, and the Potters were able to hold Man City off the score sheet for a while.
[RELATED: Watch the full match replay]
[RELATED: Latest Premier League standings]
[RELATED: Premier League stats]
The second half again had the home team on the front foot, as Samir Nasri had a shot deflected wide in the 51st minute.
Toure took a pass from Nasri and nearly scored, but Begovic tapped it over. Moments later, Diouf made his magical, ill-defended run into the 18 before squirting the ball through Hart’s legs.
Edin Dzeko and Jesus Navas came on together in the 63rd minute, and Dzeko almost immediately threatened. He notably headed over the goal in the 67th minute.
Stoke was effective in the counter, but Man City made it difficult as possible for the Potters to take the points. However, miss after miss from Toure, Fernandinho and company finished with Man City falling short.
Manchester City: Hart, Sagna, Kolarov, Kompany, Demichelis, Fernando (Fernandinho, 38′), Nasri (Navas, 63′), Yaya Toure, Silva, Jovetic (Dzeko, 63′), Aguero
Stoke City: Begovic; Bardsley, Shawcross (c), Wilson, Pieters; Whelan, Nzonzi; Diouf, Walters (Odemwingie, 45′; Adam, 65′), Moses (Muniesa, 80′); Crouch
Goal: Diouf (58)
- Captain Clint fires Seattle Sounders to US Open Cup crown in 3-1 extra time win over Philadelphia 3
- Report: FA to overhaul work permit rules to cut down on non-EU players 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 4
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0