Aug 30, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
It was no Remy, no problem, for QPR’s Charlie Austin, who netted the only goal of the game in handing Harry Redknapp’s crew their first win of the season.
Sunderland cooked up very little danger in a relatively-listless affair, sinking down the table on two total points.
Austin picked up a headed-down pass from Leroy Fer off a corner to put QPR up 1-0 just before halftime in an otherwise listless first half.
A mostly even game, Sunderland held a slight edge in possession for most of the match while QPR definitely took the lion’s share of shots.
[RELATED: Watch the full match replay]
[RELATED: Latest Premier League standings]
[RELATED: Premier League stats]
QPR had chances to add to the lead. Junior Hoilett fired left of the goal. Jordon Mutch sent one well over the bar. Sunderland stayed in the match. Would they punish Redknapp?
The Black Cats earned a dangerous free kick in the 81st minute, but Seb Larsson’s shot hit the wall.
American striker Jozy Altidore again played the role of late-game sub, coming on for Vergini in the 82nd minute. But he would not find any heroics — taking one blocked shot — as the Black Cats fell.
QPR: Green, Isla, Hill, Caulker, Ferdinand, Fer (Taarabt, 90′), Barton, Mutch, Hoilett (Traore, 83′), Austin (Zamora, 68′), Phillips
Goal: Austin (45)
Sunderland: Mannone, Vergini (Altidore, 82′), van Aanholt, Brown, O’Shea, Cattermole, Larsson, Rodwell (Giaccherini, 70′), Johnson, Wickham, Fletcher (Buckley, 69′)
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 0
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1
- LIVE – Champions League half time update: Blowouts! Get your blowouts here! 0