Aug 30, 2014, 7:20 AM EDT
It may have taken a few weeks or months longer than some expected, but Louis van Gaal is readying the Red Devils to torment the opposition
LVG has added one of the stars of the Netherlands surprising World Cup run to his stable at Manchester United, and suddenly things are looking up for the Red Devils.
Reports say Ajax has accepted Manchester United’s $23 million bid for outstanding defender Daley Blind. All that’s left is Blind’s medical and agreement on personal terms, and United has itself a much-improved defense.
A club statement read: “Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached agreement with Ajax to sign Daley Blind, subject to a medical and personal terms.”
United have been linked with Blind throughout the summer but Ajax director of football Marc Overmars said he was reluctant to sell him unless the Premier League side met their valuation, reportedly in the region of £14m.
Overmars claimed on Wednesday that Blind would only leave if an “absolute prize was paid”, and told the de Telegraaf newspaper: “We believe we currently have a strong team and want to hold on to Daley for another a year.”
Some were critical of the Red Devils for dropping close to $100 million on Real Madrid midfielder Angel Di Maria instead of focusing on defense, but that neglects the fact that:
1) United has loads of dough.
2) See point No. 1.
While Blind won’t fix every single one of United’s flaws, the cumulative additions of the 24-year-old Dutchman, Marcos Rojo, Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera and Di Maria will give Manchester United plenty of ammunition in a season without the UEFA Champions League.
LVG is cooking with gas, and Di Maria is the oldest of the bunch at 26. Wow.
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 2
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 3
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 4
- Three things we learned from the USA’s late defeat vs. Denmark 6