Aug 30, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT
According to reports in Germany, U.S. national team and Bayern Munich youngster Julian Green is heading out on loan.
Green, 19, will join Bundesliga outfit Hamburger SV on loan for the entire 2014-15 season, according to Sky Sports News HD.
[RELATED: U.S. squad vs. Czech Republic]
The American-born teenager burst onto the scene at the World Cup this summer, as Jurgen Klinsmann selected the talented youngster ahead of the likes of Landon Donovan, despite Green only playing two minutes for Bayern’s first team so far in his career. The Bayern starlet certainly repaid Kilnsmann’s faith, as he scored with his first competitive touch for the USA, halving the deficit against Belgium but the USA crashed out 2-1 in extra time at the round of 16.
Green joined Bayern on their U.S. tour this summer and played plenty of minutes for Pep Guardiola’s team. However, Bayern’s Spanish coach now seems to believe Green’s development needs a loan spell away from the Allianz Arena and fellow top-flight team Hamburg seem to be providing him with that opportunity.
For the 2013-14 season, Green played for Bayern’s reserve team in the fourth-tier of German soccer. A move to Hamburg would represent a significant jump in the level of play he will face week in, week out and he will likely rack up plenty of minutes in the Northern German city as Die Rothosen just stayed up last season after battling relegation. Green was called up to the USA’s 22-man squad for the friendly vs. Czech Republic in Prague on Wednesday.
Below is the Tweet from Sky Sports News HD reporter Sven Tollner, who is reporting that Green will arrive on a one-year loan shortly.
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 0
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0