Aug 31, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
For Manchester United, the beginning of the regular season hasn’t been the smoothest of transition for a squad that is not at 100 percent fitness and strength.
Since United has spent $216.68 million on several key players during the offseason, the heat has turned up, while media and numerous fans have expected immediate results, not the kind of bottom-tier football that’s been noticed throughout this very short acclimation period at the start of the year.
Down the line, however, United’s 11-year veteran Darren Fletcher thinks that his side will come together to produce the brand of football that viewers assume the legendary EPL club maintains.
And part of the adjustment can be witnessed in their recent change of formation, Louis van Gaal switching to 3-4-1-2 formation, which, Fletcher admits, could demand acclimation.
“It’s mentally challenging but that has always been the case,” Fletcher revealed, via Sky Sports. “The players are learning a new system and developing ideas. It is going to make us better players in the long term.”
Nevertheless, the goal of 2014-15 revolves around exceeding the rut of David Moyes’ short reign, and completing this task will beg dedication to van Gaal’s coaching ways.
“These things take time and we just have to keep believing in the manager’s philosophy and ideas. There are other things that come into it, it’s not just the system, but I am confident we will put things right.”
“The manager was very straight and forward with the players and I think the players appreciated that,” Fletcher said.
- Men In Blazers podcast: A happy PL return, while Spencer Lanning talks ‘football’ 0
- Captain Clint fires Seattle Sounders to US Open Cup crown in 3-1 extra time win over Philadelphia 6
- Report: FA to overhaul work permit rules to cut down on non-EU players 6
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 9
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0