Aug 31, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Di Marzio is reporting that Cerci will fly to Madrid tomorrow to both complete his medical and sign the contract after a month of negotiations.
Reports all over Italy are corroborating these claims at the same time, suggesting there was probably an intentional leak to the media about the deal.
The 27-year-old Italian bagged 13 goals and 12 assists behind Ciro Immobile at Torino last year in Serie A play. Torino also sold Immobile this summer, to Borussia Dortmund.
His Twitter account was “hacked” – according to Cerci – when it sent out a tweet about joining Atletico about a week ago, but it appears the move will now go through.
Cerci reportedly asked Torino for a transfer, and it would now appear to be happening on loan with an option to buy rumored to be around $26 million.
The move was likely to happen after Cerci was pulled from Torino’s matchday squad for their opening Serie A match of the season against Inter.
There are rumors that an English investment fund is providing the money for the option to buy, which is worrying for Atletico Madrid financially and certainly won’t please FIFA’s new Financial Fair Play investigations. Spanish clubs have often struggled to manage proper finances and this will only add to those rumors.
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 0
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 0
- After failed odyssey abroad, Brek Shea returns to MLS with Orlando City 1
- Lille, Werder Bremen noted frontrunners for Jozy Altidore’s services 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 17 0
- Another set back for Southampton: Jay Rodriguez’s nightmare year continues 0