Aug 31, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Di Marzio is reporting that Cerci will fly to Madrid tomorrow to both complete his medical and sign the contract after a month of negotiations.
Reports all over Italy are corroborating these claims at the same time, suggesting there was probably an intentional leak to the media about the deal.
The 27-year-old Italian bagged 13 goals and 12 assists behind Ciro Immobile at Torino last year in Serie A play. Torino also sold Immobile this summer, to Borussia Dortmund.
His Twitter account was “hacked” – according to Cerci – when it sent out a tweet about joining Atletico about a week ago, but it appears the move will now go through.
Cerci reportedly asked Torino for a transfer, and it would now appear to be happening on loan with an option to buy rumored to be around $26 million.
The move was likely to happen after Cerci was pulled from Torino’s matchday squad for their opening Serie A match of the season against Inter.
There are rumors that an English investment fund is providing the money for the option to buy, which is worrying for Atletico Madrid financially and certainly won’t please FIFA’s new Financial Fair Play investigations. Spanish clubs have often struggled to manage proper finances and this will only add to those rumors.
- U-20 World Cup preview: The groups, the favorites, USA outlook and the game’s future stars 2
- Gulati: U.S. Soccer will vote for Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein in FIFA election, not Sepp Blatter 6
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: Summer transfer needs 4
- Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 4
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 1
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 4