Sep 1, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) September 1, 2014
Danny Welbeck is set to ply his trade at the Emirates.
The 23-year-old striker has sealed a move to bolster Arsene Wenger’s strike force for a reported $26 million, payable to Manchester United.
The 23-year-old England international forward joins Arsenal from Manchester United, where he made a total of 90 appearances, scoring 20 goals. Since making his senior debut in 2008, Welbeck has also won 25 England caps.
Welbeck, who can play as a centre forward or a winger, developed through the youth ranks at Man United and during his time at Old Trafford had successful loan spells at Preston North End and Sunderland.
The transfer is subject to the completion of regulatory formalities. Everyone at Arsenal welcomes Danny to the club and looks forward to his contribution in an Arsenal shirt this season.
It’s a slick move for United, which pockets a cool $26 million for a player now surplus to their requirements, but it could pay off even bigger for the Gunners. Aside from brining in an England player, which they are clearly playing up on the above Tweet, Arsenal could have pulled off a Sturridge.
Now the comparisons are dicey but easy-to-make. Both Sturridge and Welbeck were hotshot young England players working out-of-position and underneath big names at monster clubs. In fact, you could argue Welbeck pre-Arsenal has achieved more than Sturridge pre-Liverpool loan.
If Welbeck gets the chance to play long-term up-top a service unit that features Alexis Sanchez, Mesut Ozil and Aaron Ramsey… look out. The move could also absolutely fall apart, but let’s stay positive for the sake of one of deadline day’s juiciest moves.
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Peru 6
- Three things we learned from USMNT’s comeback win vs. Peru 0
- USMNT 2-1 Peru: Altidore double leads USA to come-from-behind win 0
- EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic coach Andi Herzog on Rio 2016, MLS, over-age players and more 0
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 6
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0