Sep 1, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The depth isn’t where Louis van Gaal would like it, but Manchester United’s addition of Daley Blind makes them a much better team moving forward.
The long-rumored move was confirmed on Monday, with the 24-year-old penning a four-year deal after joining from Ajax for a reported $23 million transfer fee.
[ RELATED: Latest transfer window news ]
[ WATCH: Deadline Day show, NBCSN, 6-8 pm ET ]
Blind can man the outside back, center back and center defensive mid positions, with many expecting him to join Ander Herrera as a force in controlling the center of the park (and subsequently allowing Wayne Rooney and/or Juan Mata plenty of opportunity to playing daring, attacking football up top).
“It is a real honour to sign for Manchester United. I have been at Ajax since I was seven years old and I will always have very fond memories of the club and of my time there.
“Louis van Gaal is a tremendously talented coach, I have worked with him at Ajax and also for the Netherlands national team and I cannot wait to work with him at the biggest club in the world.”
Louis van Gaal said: “I am delighted Daley has signed for the club. He is a very intelligent and versatile footballer that can play in many positions. Daley is a great reader of the game, he has played under my philosophy over a number of years and he will be a great addition to the team.”
With no UEFA Champions League football, the Blind move will help United immensely in the short- and long-term. The big question now is whether van Gaal will change his formation from the much-discussed 3-5-2.
Don’t forget to tune in to the “Transfer Deadline Day Show” on NBCSN (Monday, 6-8 p.m. ET).
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 2
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1