Sep 1, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
The depth isn’t where Louis van Gaal would like it, but Manchester United’s addition of Daley Blind makes them a much better team moving forward.
The long-rumored move was confirmed on Monday, with the 24-year-old penning a four-year deal after joining from Ajax for a reported $23 million transfer fee.
[ RELATED: Latest transfer window news ]
[ WATCH: Deadline Day show, NBCSN, 6-8 pm ET ]
Blind can man the outside back, center back and center defensive mid positions, with many expecting him to join Ander Herrera as a force in controlling the center of the park (and subsequently allowing Wayne Rooney and/or Juan Mata plenty of opportunity to playing daring, attacking football up top).
“It is a real honour to sign for Manchester United. I have been at Ajax since I was seven years old and I will always have very fond memories of the club and of my time there.
“Louis van Gaal is a tremendously talented coach, I have worked with him at Ajax and also for the Netherlands national team and I cannot wait to work with him at the biggest club in the world.”
Louis van Gaal said: “I am delighted Daley has signed for the club. He is a very intelligent and versatile footballer that can play in many positions. Daley is a great reader of the game, he has played under my philosophy over a number of years and he will be a great addition to the team.”
With no UEFA Champions League football, the Blind move will help United immensely in the short- and long-term. The big question now is whether van Gaal will change his formation from the much-discussed 3-5-2.
Don’t forget to tune in to the “Transfer Deadline Day Show” on NBCSN (Monday, 6-8 p.m. ET).
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 1
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 3