Sep 1, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
It was a week for captains and mostly underdogs in the Premier League’s team of the week, as QPR, Burnley and Swansea players dotted the XI.
[VIDEO: Premier League highlights, here]
[RELATED: Latest Premier League standings]
If you’ve bought into the notion that Swans are now a power, and they look great, perhaps you’ll disagree with the assessment. Nathan Dyer makes a second appearance in the XI, and is joined by Swansea teammate Wayne Routledge.
Newcastle teen sensation Rolando Aarons hit the scene with a scintillating sub performance against Crystal Palace, while the defense carries two big leaders: Burnley captain Jason Shackell and Stoke skipper Ryan Shawcross.
Alberto Moreno and Diego Costa make sure traditional powers Liverpool and Chelsea get a representative in the team as well.
Matchday 3 – Premier League Team of the Week (Formation: 3-4-3)
GK: Rob Green
Defenders: Jason Shackell, Ryan Shawcross, Alberto Moreno
Midfielders: Nathan Dyer, Morgan Schneiderlin, Rolando Aarons, Wayne Routledge
Forwards: Jason Puncheon, Charlie Austin, Diego Costa
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 0
- United States, Japan meet in Women’s World Cup final with high hopes back home 1
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 4