Sep 1, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
It was a week for captains and mostly underdogs in the Premier League’s team of the week, as QPR, Burnley and Swansea players dotted the XI.
[VIDEO: Premier League highlights, here]
[RELATED: Latest Premier League standings]
If you’ve bought into the notion that Swans are now a power, and they look great, perhaps you’ll disagree with the assessment. Nathan Dyer makes a second appearance in the XI, and is joined by Swansea teammate Wayne Routledge.
Newcastle teen sensation Rolando Aarons hit the scene with a scintillating sub performance against Crystal Palace, while the defense carries two big leaders: Burnley captain Jason Shackell and Stoke skipper Ryan Shawcross.
Alberto Moreno and Diego Costa make sure traditional powers Liverpool and Chelsea get a representative in the team as well.
Matchday 3 – Premier League Team of the Week (Formation: 3-4-3)
GK: Rob Green
Defenders: Jason Shackell, Ryan Shawcross, Alberto Moreno
Midfielders: Nathan Dyer, Morgan Schneiderlin, Rolando Aarons, Wayne Routledge
Forwards: Jason Puncheon, Charlie Austin, Diego Costa
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 3