Sep 1, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Two years ago, Arsenal fans watched as prized striker Robin van Persie moved from London to Manchester United.
This August, they are seeing a striker come back the other way, as multiple reports have England international Danny Welbeck moving from Old Trafford to the Emirates.
[RELATED: Latest transfer window news]
[WATCH: Deadline Day show, NBCSN, 6-8 pm]
The attacker, capable of playing winger but preferring striker, would go to North London a permanent deal said to be in the range of $26 million.
The 23-year-old — 24 in November — netted 10 times last season after a horrible 2012/13 under Alex Ferguson, but is surplus to requirements with Radamel Falcao reportedly headed to United on loan.
From the BBC’s David Ornstein:
“Arsenal have reached an agreement with Manchester United for the permanent signing of Danny Welbeck.
“The fee is in the region of £16m and there is no expectation that there will be any complications with the 23-year-old’s personal terms or medical checks.”
Looks like Arsenal had to double-down on overvalue with Welbeck coming both from a rival and bearing the Three Lions rep. The forward arrived to the international break with Wayne Rooney as teammates for club and country, and will walk away as bitter rivals.
Not a huge risk for the Gunners, but certainly a decent reward for Louis van Gaal. Arsenal is clearly hoping Danny Welbeck was held down in a similar fashion to Daniel Sturridge at Chelsea. Can he possibly work a similar renaissance?
Don’t forget to tune in to the “Transfer Deadline Day Show” on NBCSN (Monday, 6-8 p.m. ET).
- Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal 1
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0