Sep 1, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Two years ago, Arsenal fans watched as prized striker Robin van Persie moved from London to Manchester United.
This August, they are seeing a striker come back the other way, as multiple reports have England international Danny Welbeck moving from Old Trafford to the Emirates.
[RELATED: Latest transfer window news]
[WATCH: Deadline Day show, NBCSN, 6-8 pm]
The attacker, capable of playing winger but preferring striker, would go to North London a permanent deal said to be in the range of $26 million.
The 23-year-old — 24 in November — netted 10 times last season after a horrible 2012/13 under Alex Ferguson, but is surplus to requirements with Radamel Falcao reportedly headed to United on loan.
From the BBC’s David Ornstein:
“Arsenal have reached an agreement with Manchester United for the permanent signing of Danny Welbeck.
“The fee is in the region of £16m and there is no expectation that there will be any complications with the 23-year-old’s personal terms or medical checks.”
Looks like Arsenal had to double-down on overvalue with Welbeck coming both from a rival and bearing the Three Lions rep. The forward arrived to the international break with Wayne Rooney as teammates for club and country, and will walk away as bitter rivals.
Not a huge risk for the Gunners, but certainly a decent reward for Louis van Gaal. Arsenal is clearly hoping Danny Welbeck was held down in a similar fashion to Daniel Sturridge at Chelsea. Can he possibly work a similar renaissance?
Don’t forget to tune in to the “Transfer Deadline Day Show” on NBCSN (Monday, 6-8 p.m. ET).
- 2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too 0
- New York City mayor could give USWNT ticker tape parade in Manhattan 0
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 0
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9