Sep 1, 2014, 1:27 PM EST
Most would consider this a big story on Deadline Day as Arsenal possibly search for a new striker, one that is desperately needed considering Olivier Giroud‘s injury, Yaya Sanogo’s listless performances, and Joel Campbell’s inexperience.
However, reporters continue to miss one big fact. A big one, that kind of defeats the purpose of these reports.
With the international break here, there’s another reason why he’s at Arsenal’s ground in London:
Danny Welbeck has been at Arsenal's London Colney training ground today…
Whoops. It would appear, by that picture, there’s little “forcing” going on at Colney. Unless Arsene Wenger’s planning on buying Wayne Rooney and James Milner too, and hiring Roy Hodgson in his front office!! BREAKING NEWS!
Or maybe not.
The BBC is also skeptical:
Meanwhile, Sky Sports is on a whole new level with the story.
A few hours ago, the Daily Star’s Duncan Wright reported that Welbeck stayed behind after his teammates went to a movie, instead preferring to “talk deals” so there clearly is interest (this claim was corroborated by a moviegoer who bumped into the England squad sans Welbeck). But it’s hard to believe he would break off from England training to push through a deal with Wenger.
Oh, and the fact that Wenger isn’t even in England anymore. That’s a thing too. He’s gone to Italy to referee a charity match.
So let’s pump the breaks on a move for Welbeck for the time being. Just because he’s at Arsenal’s training ground doesn’t mean anything is happening. Things could still move, and Arsenal wouldn’t need to send for the striker given he’s already there, but there’s not much here at the moment.
Don’t forget to tune in to the “Transfer Deadline Day Show” on NBCSN (Monday, 6-8 p.m. ET).
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0