Sep 1, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
On ‘Transfer Deadline Day’ U.S. national team player Geoff Cameron is in the midst of a tug of war.
ProSoccerTalk can confirm that Cameron, 29, was being chased by Premier League duo Sunderland and Southampton, while Serie A outfit Lazio were also interested, but Stoke City have blocked any potential switch. Sunderland have since signed Sebastian Coates from Liverpool on loan and Lazio are said to be out of the running.
[RELATED: Summer transfer window news]
Southampton are the only team left in the hunt for Cameron’s services, with PST’s source stating Saints have been in talks over the player all day and could make a last-gasp move for the American. PST have contacted both teams, who are staying tight-lipped on any potential deal for the U.S. international.
The versatile player, who has operated at right back for the Potters over the past two seasons, played at center back and center midfield for the USA at the World Cup this summer and it is believed that Cameron will be given the chance to play in a central role at Saints.
However, the man Stoke signed from the Houston Dynamo back in 2012 could remain at the Britannia Stadium past the transfer deadline at 6 p.m. ET on Monday. Last week we revealed that Italian side Lazio, plus Hull City, Swansea, Sunderland and Southampton were in for Cameron and the U.S. international was said to be keen for a move. Cameron has yet to feature in the PL for Stoke this campaign and suffered a groin injury in the Potters’ League Cup win over Portsmouth last week.
With the final few hours of the window ticking away, time is running out for Cameron to find a new club as Mark Hughes and Stoke dig in their heels to keep him with the Potters. Southampton are the last club in the running but this deal is set to go down to the wire as the U.S. international could remain at Stoke City for the foreseeable future.
Don’t forget to tune in to the “Transfer Deadline Day Show” on NBCSN (Monday, 6-8 p.m. ET).
- Big Spenders: Which Premier League clubs must go all-in on transfer deadline day? 0
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- NO DEAL: David de Gea’s transfer to Real Madrid falls through as Man United paperwork arrives too late 3
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 2
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 3