Sep 1, 2014, 2:40 PM EST
ProSoccerTalk can reveal that Tottenham Hotspur have made a third bid for Southampton forward Jay Rodriguez.
The England international, 25, is currently out injured but has been attracting plenty of interest after scoring 15 goals in the Premier League last season. This deal seems like a long shot, but Spurs upped their offer right at the end of the window to try and entice Saints to cash in on yet another one of their star assets.
[RELATED: Latest transfer window news]
Earlier this morning, reports from the Independent suggested that Tottenham had made a bid of $22 million plus England international midfielder Andros Townsend. That came after his former boss at Saints Mauricio Pochettino, who is now in charge at Spurs, inquired about Rodriguez’s availability earlier this summer. Rodriguez looked a shoe-in to make England’s World Cup squad this summer but suffered a horrendous ACL injury at Manchester City back in April. The striker is still two to three weeks away from a return to full training.
Saints, who have insisted Rodriguez is not for sale, rejected the last two bids but Spurs are testing the South Coast clubs nerve with an improved offer just hours before the deadline slams shut.
Ronald Koeman is in the market for a winger and Saints have been linked with Townsend for several weeks. If they can get $26 million plus an England international winger for a player who is currently injured and has had one breakout season in the PL, maybe that is good business for Saints.
It is unlikely that Southampton will sell, but an offer this good would usually be very hard to turn down.
Don’t forget to tune in to the “Transfer Deadline Day Show” on NBCSN (Monday, 6-8 p.m. ET).
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 2
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 1
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested 12