Sep 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
More than 17 hours after the transfer window had slammed shut, one deal still managed to sneak through.
Tom Cleverley is now an Aston Villa player.
The England international was chased by Villa and Everton on Deadline Day, as the Manchester United midfielder was made available on loan by Louis van Gaal during the transfer window.
[RELATED: Transfer window grades]
[RELATED: Every Deadline Day deal]
Cleverley, 25, has fallen out of favor at Old Trafford in the last 12 months and was made a scapegoat by many during David Moyes’ disastrous tenure in charge of the Red Devils last season.
He now has a fresh start after Villa’s season-long loan deal for the central midfielder was ratified by the Premier League following the Deadline Day madness. Cleverley missed out on making England’s World Cup squad this summer but the pint-sized midfielder was not so long ago touted as the next big thing for the Three Lions. His industry in the engine room can’t be overlooked and if Villa can give him regular games they will be getting a player who has Champions League and international experience, plus, he’s got something to prove.
When all was said and done, United moved on Cleverly, Danny Welbeck, Nick Powell, Shinji Kagawa, Michael Keane and Javier Hernandez on the final day of a huge summer transfer window for the Red Devils. All of those moves should just about free up enough space on the age bill to cover half of Radamel Falcao’s wages…
Anyway, below is the official confirmation from Villa, as Cleverley will spend the rest of the 2014-15 season in England’s second-city. It’s a place he enjoys playing at, having scored at Villa Park last season in a Manchester United win.
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3