Sep 2, 2014, 7:33 AM EDT
Reports surfacing across England on Tuesday morning suggest a deal which was thought to be dead on Deadline Day, may actually have gone through.
Aston Villa were said to be chasing Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley, as were Everton, but the England midfielders wage demands were reportedly too high for both teams.
[RELATED: Transfer window grades]
[RELATED: Every Deadline Day deal]
On Tuesday morning, various UK outlets reported that Cleverley may have actually signed for Villa before the deadline and the PL are now judging whether or not the deal was done in time.
Paperwork was said to be filed at the eleventh hour and like Manchester United’s deal for Radamel Falcao and Arsenal’s move for Danny Welbeck, Villa were well within their rights to file for an extension to complete a loan move for Cleverley. It is not sure whether or not that happened.
Here is a Tweet from Sky Sports, as confusion still reigns over Cleverley’s status.
Is he a Manchester United player? Or is he now on loan at Villa? Sooner rather than later we will find out, as the Deadline Day had one more twist left in it.
Cleverley, 25, has seen his promising career stall after a poor season in 2013-14. The pint-sized United midfielder has lost his place in the England squad and was made one of the scapegoats after David Moyes’ failed tenure in charge of Manchester United.
At Villa, former United midfield legend Roy Keane is now the assistant boss and it is believed that Cleverley is keen to work alongside him to try and get his career back on track.
Let’s see what happens here, but if United managed to shift on Cleverley, Welbeck and several other bit-part players on Deadline Day, they can almost justify the big spending on Falcao for this season. Maybe.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1