Sep 3, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Worrying reports continue to spill out of Shakhtar Donetsk, as the Ukranian soccer powerhouse was occupied by armed men earlier Wednesday.
Details are scarce so far, but the incident comes on the heels of an Aug. 23 attack on the club’s stadium and several players refusing to play for the team earlier this summer as the turmoil in Ukraine drags on.
The city of Donetsk is at the heart of the Russian/Ukrainian conflict.
Shakhtar did not identify the men and said the “circumstances of what has happened are being investigated.”
The city of Donetsk is the largest under the control of pro-Russian rebels, and has been the scene of fighting between them and Ukrainian troops in recent weeks.
Shakhtar’s stadium, the Donbass Arena, suffered largely cosmetic damage from a mortar round last month.
The club’s training base was hit by two shells early Saturday, starting a fire which severely damaged the main building.
Shakhtar is playing its home games this season in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv.
FC Shakhtar’s office at 86a Artema St in Donetsk was occupied by armed men. Circumstances of the incident are being investigated. In this connection, you are kindly requested to send official correspondence to the address: 189e Chelyuskintsiv St, Donetsk.
All our best hopes, obviously, for the entire region as we’re reminded how little sports can matter on a day-to-day basis.
- Brendan Rodgers says $50 million for Christian Benteke was a bargain 0
- Saturday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Berbatov to Villa, Rahman to Chelsea 1
- Manchester United, adidas unveil kits with “smashing” photos 3
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 1
- FA Community Shield preview: Will Arsenal or Chelsea claim the season’s first reward? 1
- Jose Mourinho issues Chelsea injury update; believes Arsenal can win Premier League 0