Sep 3, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT
After his Deadline Day move to Arsenal, striker Danny Welbeck has revealed he always though he’d end up at the Emirates.
Welbeck, 23, has spent his entire youth and professional career at Manchester United but left the Red Devils on Monday to join Arsenal in a $26 million deal.
[RELATED: Welbeck to Arsenal best deadline deal]
Speaking out for the first time since he signed for the Gunners, the England international revealed he ‘envisaged’ himself playing for Arsene Wenger and lauded their style of play.
Here’s Welbeck’s first words as a Gooner, courtesy of the club website.
“It’s exciting times for me. It’s great to be a part of this club and it’s a team that I’ve always watched in the Premier League,” Welbeck said. “I’ve envisaged myself playing in this team before. For it to finally happen is very exciting. I believe the style of play the manager’s got and the boys play and with the magnificent players in midfield slotting balls through, I can run on to the end of those balls and slot them away.”
On Tuesday at PST, we analyzed Welbeck’s move to North London and described it as the ‘best Deadline Day deal’ for precisely the reasons he has just mentioned above.
Arsenal will look to deploy Welbeck in his preferred role as a central striker, whereas at United he had been shunted out on the wing to accommodate Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie. Now, Welbeck gets to be the main main up top and will thrive at latching onto balls from the likes of Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey et al. Plus Welbeck’s pace fits into the Gunners’ blistering counterattacks. It is, quite simply, a match made in heaven.
Let’s wait until he kicks a ball for Arsenal, but on paper this deal seems to be a good one for everyone involved.
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top 0
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 6
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7