Sep 3, 2014, 8:41 AM EST
After his Deadline Day move to Arsenal, striker Danny Welbeck has revealed he always though he’d end up at the Emirates.
Welbeck, 23, has spent his entire youth and professional career at Manchester United but left the Red Devils on Monday to join Arsenal in a $26 million deal.
[RELATED: Welbeck to Arsenal best deadline deal]
Speaking out for the first time since he signed for the Gunners, the England international revealed he ‘envisaged’ himself playing for Arsene Wenger and lauded their style of play.
Here’s Welbeck’s first words as a Gooner, courtesy of the club website.
“It’s exciting times for me. It’s great to be a part of this club and it’s a team that I’ve always watched in the Premier League,” Welbeck said. “I’ve envisaged myself playing in this team before. For it to finally happen is very exciting. I believe the style of play the manager’s got and the boys play and with the magnificent players in midfield slotting balls through, I can run on to the end of those balls and slot them away.”
On Tuesday at PST, we analyzed Welbeck’s move to North London and described it as the ‘best Deadline Day deal’ for precisely the reasons he has just mentioned above.
Arsenal will look to deploy Welbeck in his preferred role as a central striker, whereas at United he had been shunted out on the wing to accommodate Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie. Now, Welbeck gets to be the main main up top and will thrive at latching onto balls from the likes of Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez, Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey et al. Plus Welbeck’s pace fits into the Gunners’ blistering counterattacks. It is, quite simply, a match made in heaven.
Let’s wait until he kicks a ball for Arsenal, but on paper this deal seems to be a good one for everyone involved.
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 1
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 1
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested 10