Di Maria says he only stayed at Real Madrid because of Cristiano Ronaldo

Sep 3, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT

Spanish Super Cup - "Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid" Getty Images

If it wasn’t for Cristiano Ronaldo, Angel Di Maria would have left Real Madrid before last season. That was the statement the Argentine winger made before his side’s 4-2 win over Germany on Wednesday.

“The truth is that I have a great relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo and I stayed at Madrid last season thanks to him,” Di Maria told ESPN Radio.

“I left Madrid in the best possible way, by winning La Decima,” Di Maria continued. “In my farewell letter, I said exactly how I felt from the first day at the Bernabeu.”

The letter (below) clears up any rumors concerning Di Maria’s desire to stay at Madrid. He was all in. But apparently the higher-ups in the Spanish capital didn’t see him in their future, so much so that even pleas from Ronaldo to secure Di Maria’s services fell on deaf ears.

Di Maria’s letter to fans stated the following: “Unfortunately today I have to go, but I want to make clear that this was never my desire.

“As anyone who works, I’ve always wanted to progress. After winning ‘La Decima’ I went to the World Cup with the hope of receiving a new contract, which never came.

“Many things and many lies were spoken. They always wanted to attribute the initiative to me to leave the club, but I did not. The only thing I asked for is something that would be fair.

He added: “I’ve been lucky enough to share a dressing room with fantastic players, who have been even better companions.

“I think that was the key to La Decima. I want to apologize for the times I was wrong, on or off the pitch. It was never my intention to harm anyone.

“I sweated for this shirt in every game as if it was my last. There were times when things went for me and others not, but what I can say is that I always gave everything.”

For Manchester United fans, hearing these words are only positive. It appears that Di Maria has turned the page on his time at Real Madrid and is ready to write a new chapter. Perhaps he harbors some ill-will towards his former club but that should only serve as motivation to reach new levels of success at Old Trafford.

Latest Posts
  1. Barcelona’s Xavi set to sign deal in Qatar; will not join New York City FC, MLS

Mar 26, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT

Barcelona's midfielder Xavi Hernandez ce Barcelona's midfielder Xavi Hernandez ce

Xavi is heading to Qatar on a three-year deal, will get paid $11 million per season.

2. Soccer’s rich list: Who are the top 20 highest earning players?

Mar 26, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Lionel Messi, Neymar Lionel Messi, Neymar

Here’s a look at the players with the highest revenue in 2014.

3. VIDEO: Watch Alexis Sanchez play the piano to John Legend song

Mar 26, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Sanchez piano

When he’s not ripping apart Premier League defenses, Sanchez loves to unwind by tickling the ivory.

4. Report: Brazilian striker Luiz Adriano interesting Liverpool, Arsenal

Mar 26, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT

Turkey v Brazil International friendly match Turkey v Brazil International friendly match

Shakhtar’s star striker set to leave in December when his contract runs out.

5. Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League

Mar 26, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT

Schneiderlin Getty Images

Saints midfielder speaks of his desire to play in the UCL, reassess his future this summer.

6. Theo Walcott denies fall out with Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger over contract talks

Mar 26, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT

Arsenal v Leicester City - Premier League Getty Images

Walcott denies a “bust-up” with Wenger over contract talks.

7. Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil believes he can win Ballon d’Or award to silence critics

Mar 26, 2015, 7:58 AM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

The German international playmaker is aiming to join the Messi’s and Ronaldo’s of this world.

8. Union’s Zach Pfeffer given 2nd game for elbow, Manneh also suspended

Mar 25, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 11.20.07 PM

The MLS disciplinary committee was busy after this last weekend.

9. Messi, Argentina attend Wizards vs Pacers NBA game

Mar 25, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT

Argentina AP

All the priceless images and marketable moments from the Argentinian national team’s visit to the Verizon Center.

10. Sami Khedira confirms he will leave Real Madrid at the end of the season

Mar 25, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

Khedira Getty Images

Having won just about every possible trophy in his five years at the Bernabeu, the German is moving on.

11. Perry Kitchen not suspended for apparent stamp at Red Bull Arena

Mar 25, 2015, 7:58 PM EDT

Kitchen AP

The D.C. United midfielder appears to be getting off lightly, and the Red Bull captain isn’t pleased.

12. Late Podolski goal gives Germany 2-2 draw with Australia

Mar 25, 2015, 7:19 PM EDT

Podolski Getty Images

Germany nearly fell disappointingly to the Asian Cup winners but Podolski’s 48th international goal brought them level.

13. Postgame reaction: Bradley disappointed, Klinsmann unmoved

Mar 25, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT

Klinsmann Getty Images

Michael Bradley was disappointed, but Jurgen Klinsmann somehow took positives from the game.

14. Player ratings: How did the USMNT fare in defeat to Denmark?

Mar 25, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT

Another USMNT friendly, another second half collapse.

15. Denmark 3-2 USMNT: Defensive folly reel, Bendtner’s hat trick undo Altidore’s star turn

Mar 25, 2015, 5:12 PM EDT

FBL-EURO-2016-FRIENDLY-DEN-USA Getty Images

Jozy Altidore deserved better for his goal and assist, but the United States again looked porous at the back in a one-goal loss to 28th ranked Denmark.

16. Southampton goalkeeper Fraser Forster out for season after knee surgery

Mar 25, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Forster Getty Images

A devastating injury has left Southampton without their first-choice keeper as they cling to a European place.

Week 30: Headline PL moment