Louis van Gaal reveals past offers, trash talks Tottenham Hotspur

Sep 3, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

louis_van_gaal AP

Tottenham Hotspur fans, avert your eyes if you don’t like seeing your club being belittled.

New Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has been talking trash on your squad.

[RELATED: Can United challenge for the PL?]

On Monday, Van Gaal received a lifetime achievement award at the Netherlands Footballer of the Year gala and in a speech, the Dutchman opened up about plenty of things.

The main piece of news to come from that was van Gaal talking smack on Spurs. Read his comments below in full, as the fiery 63-year-old boss revealed that Spurs offered almost as much money as United to be their new boss.

However, it seems as though LVG didn’t want the ‘easy’ life Spurs would have given him. Ouch.

“No, I don’t regret taking this job. Yes, it is a massive job I have taken on at Manchester United. I realize that. And the situation is not worse than I thought – I knew what I would find on my plate,” van Gaal said. “I could have opted for an easier job. If I had gone to Tottenham, the job would not have been as enormous as here at United. I could have easily gone to Spurs. But I chose the biggest challenge of all the jobs in football. And I really wanted to join the number one club in the country, not Tottenham. Financially, Tottenham was kind of as attractive as Man United. But, in my eyes, Man United is still the number one club in England, Tottenham really is not.”

Below are a few more snippets from LVG, who gave plenty of interesting insight while speaking in his homeland.

Van Gaal also spoke about how he needs a little bit of luck:

“Look, don’t be fooled. Every manager loves recognition and appreciation. So do I – if I don’t get any applause, I would not be able to keep going for so long as a manager. Nobody can. But you also need a bit of luck. I have been lucky in the beginning of my career. Ajax wanted to sack me halfway in my first season at the club. But they kept believing in me, and look what happened.”

On finishing his coaching career at United:

“I want to end my big coaching career here, at Manchester United. I really want to bring the championship here to the people of Man United. Those smiles on the faces come when my computer expert, who combines the good things of a game on a DVD, puts great music with those great football moments. I love that more than anything.”

On not having a break between coaching Holland this summer, then United:

“I don’t regret, either, the fact that I rushed straight from the World Cup to my new job in Manchester. I can handle all that. I have the energy. And the players and the club give me energy. I think it is fantastic that I have so much work on my plate. It means I have a lot to do and I am capable of doing it.”

1. bloope - Sep 3, 2014 at 8:34 AM

I disagree that Tottenham is an easier job than Manchester United. When Van Gaal took over he already had more world class players than Tottenham and has far more resources than the Spurs do when it comes to acquiring players. Yes Man U finished lower this past season but Manchester United is one of the top soccer brands in the world and clearly has a much higher spending budget than Tottenham. Yes he is under more pressure to succeed but I wouldn’t say the Tottenham job is an easier one.

2. lordfletcher - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I don’t see where LVG is slamming the Spurs as much as you can tell he is speaking the truth, and that English is not his first language.

Does anyone else think differently than what was said? He wasn’t intending to be rude,.. come on guy

• etchedchaos - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM

What truth? The Spurs job is 100 times harder than the Manure job, we’re not able to buy Di Maria and Falcao on top of everyone else they’ve bought. Nor can we pay anyone 200k a week, let alone 350k a week.

• urallstupid - Sep 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM

easier probably in terms of expectations. no one would expecting him to win the league with the spurs.

• lordfletcher - Sep 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM

@etchedchaos

All depends in how you interpret the job. Obviously Man Utd have incredible expectations compared to most of the BPL so you can’t rate the two on the same pedestal.

Is it harder to bring home a championship with Spurs compared to Red Devils, of course… But only one job will be fired for not earning one in the first 3 years.

Apples / oranges… But we all know what LVG means

• Comrade23 - Sep 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Wouldn’t be 100 times harder if you hadn’t dropped 100 million on a pack of players who turned out to be donkeys in disguise last summer.

• lordfletcher - Sep 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

@comrade

off topic, but yeah… one of the main reasons why Moyes was fired. LVG has to clean up the mess and the best / quickest way is to spend more money and pray all acquisitions are ‘home runs’. With limited youth coming up in the ranks, which is different than years past, you have to spend money…. Luckily for United $$$ is no problem. BPL television contracts, Chevrolet and Adidas has made life pretty great for red devil fans

3. jslip1 - Sep 3, 2014 at 2:00 PM

MK Dons.

4. geejon - Sep 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM

This writer is really getting on my nerves. It’s almost every day he writes something idiotic. Yesterday he suggested United had a legit shot at winning the league this year. Today this. How did LvG “belittle” or “trash talk” Tottenham? All he said was United were a bigger club than Tottenham. Yeah … and?

5. mazblast - Sep 4, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Big Lou should be reminded that trash talk goes over a lot easier when you’re on top and talking down. While no one but the most insane Man U fans (OK, that may be redundant) expected an instant turnaround, it can’t be denied that he hasn’t accomplished much if anything there yet. I don’t think that even last year’s goldbricking side would have lost to Milton Keynes 4-0.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?