Louis van Gaal reveals past offers, trash talks Tottenham Hotspur

Sep 3, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

louis_van_gaal AP

Tottenham Hotspur fans, avert your eyes if you don’t like seeing your club being belittled.

New Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has been talking trash on your squad.

[RELATED: Can United challenge for the PL?]

On Monday, Van Gaal received a lifetime achievement award at the Netherlands Footballer of the Year gala and in a speech, the Dutchman opened up about plenty of things.

The main piece of news to come from that was van Gaal talking smack on Spurs. Read his comments below in full, as the fiery 63-year-old boss revealed that Spurs offered almost as much money as United to be their new boss.

However, it seems as though LVG didn’t want the ‘easy’ life Spurs would have given him. Ouch.

“No, I don’t regret taking this job. Yes, it is a massive job I have taken on at Manchester United. I realize that. And the situation is not worse than I thought – I knew what I would find on my plate,” van Gaal said. “I could have opted for an easier job. If I had gone to Tottenham, the job would not have been as enormous as here at United. I could have easily gone to Spurs. But I chose the biggest challenge of all the jobs in football. And I really wanted to join the number one club in the country, not Tottenham. Financially, Tottenham was kind of as attractive as Man United. But, in my eyes, Man United is still the number one club in England, Tottenham really is not.”

Below are a few more snippets from LVG, who gave plenty of interesting insight while speaking in his homeland.

Van Gaal also spoke about how he needs a little bit of luck:

“Look, don’t be fooled. Every manager loves recognition and appreciation. So do I – if I don’t get any applause, I would not be able to keep going for so long as a manager. Nobody can. But you also need a bit of luck. I have been lucky in the beginning of my career. Ajax wanted to sack me halfway in my first season at the club. But they kept believing in me, and look what happened.”

On finishing his coaching career at United:

“I want to end my big coaching career here, at Manchester United. I really want to bring the championship here to the people of Man United. Those smiles on the faces come when my computer expert, who combines the good things of a game on a DVD, puts great music with those great football moments. I love that more than anything.”

On not having a break between coaching Holland this summer, then United:

“I don’t regret, either, the fact that I rushed straight from the World Cup to my new job in Manchester. I can handle all that. I have the energy. And the players and the club give me energy. I think it is fantastic that I have so much work on my plate. It means I have a lot to do and I am capable of doing it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Paderborn keeps scoring ridiculous goals, keeps winning

Oct 21, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT

Paderborn Getty Images

Paderborn hasn’t stopped winning or scoring insane goals, if you haven’t noticed.

2. VIDEO: Men In Blazer – Balotelli, own goals, and Mark Consuelos

Oct 20, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT

Men In Blazers

Actor Mark Consuelos made his way to the Crap Part of Soho while the Men In Blazers tried to keep the ball out of their own net.

3. Champions League Tuesday preview: City in Russia, Roma hosts Bayern

Oct 20, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT

Bayern AP

Bayern Munich have a very difficult match on the road in Italy, while other matchups in Spain, Russia, and Germany will all prove enjoyable.

4. USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti

Oct 20, 2014, 9:28 PM EDT

Lloyd AP

Meghan Klingenberg bagged a laser beam for her first US goal and Abby Wambach grabbed two as the Americans will move on to the semifinals.

5. Manchester Police arrest man for flying drone over City vs Spurs match

Oct 20, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT

Photo credit: Greater Manchester Police Photo credit: Greater Manchester Police

Manchester Police confirmed a man was arrested after flying a drone over the match that entertained 45,000 people.

6. Americans Abroad: Johannsson, Cameron, Boyd all return

Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Cameron AP

Aron Johannsson bagged a penalty in his return from groin surgery, while Juan Agudelo continues to search for a new club.

7. Adel Taarabt jabs back after Redknapp’s scathing comments

Oct 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Taarabt Getty Images

Adel Taarabt says the harsh words from manager Harry Redknapp are not only untrue but damaging as a professional.

8. New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach

Oct 20, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT

Raul Getty Images

The New York Cosmos completed a massive signing, beating out a few of his former clubs to nab the Spanish legend as a player and coach.

9. Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November

Oct 20, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT

Jurgen Klinsmann

Despite a solid confirmation from Croatia, the friendly will reportedly not be happening.

10. WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road

Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT

WestBromUnited Getty Images

Manchester United came from behind twice but still must settle for a disappointing result away from home.

11. Teen Lazio striker totals his Lamborghini in Rome

Oct 20, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT

Lambo

19-year-old Lazio striker Keita Balde Diao somehow walked away from what looks to be a major accident. His Lamborghini, however, didn’t.

12. UEFA fines Wales and Galatasary, spare Arsenal

Oct 20, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Arsenal FC v Galatasaray AS - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Unruly fans will cost Wales and Galatasary as UEFA continues to crack down on off-the-pitch incidents.

13. 2014 Homeless World Cup kicks off in Chile

Oct 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT

FBL-CHILE-HOMELESS WORLD CUP Getty Images

The yearly tournament organizes five-a-side matches for people that are homeless or living in extreme poverty.

14. Transfer talk: Multiple PL clubs interested in Andre Ayew

Oct 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

FBL-FRA-LIGUE1-GUINGAMP-MARSEILLE Getty Images

Liverpool, Everton and Swansea City are just a few of the Premier League clubs reportedly looking to sign the Marseille winger.

15. Lukas Podolski: ‘Hell will freeze over’ before playing for Spurs

Oct 20, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-FACUP-ARSENAL-HULL Getty Images

With transfer rumors swirling, the Arsenal forward made it clear that he is #AlwaysAGunner.

16. South Africa rules out hosting Africa Cup of Nations

Oct 20, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT

FBL-AFR2015-SUD-RSA Getty Images

Amidst the Ebola outbreak, South Africa has ruled out hosting the continent’s premier tournament should Morocco back out.

17. Indian player dies after goal celebration

Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Sad news out of India as a young player died after injuring his spinal cord during a celebration.

18. CSKA Moscow striker says Manchester City are ‘very weak’

Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-CSKA-BAYERN Getty Images

Ahmed Musa stirred the pot ahead of his club’s Champions League clash this week, calling out City’s form.

19. Premier League Preview: West Brom vs. Manchester United

Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN UTD-WEST BROM Getty Images

Watch the Baggies take on Manchester United today, live at 3:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN.

20. Petr Cech is giving Thibaut Courtois safety tips

Oct 20, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT

Chelsea v Arsenal - Premier League Getty Images

The Chelsea backup is teaching his replacement how to stay safe from head injuries, which have affected both keepers.

Week 8: Saturday PL recap