Louis van Gaal reveals past offers, trash talks Tottenham Hotspur

Sep 3, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

louis_van_gaal AP

Tottenham Hotspur fans, avert your eyes if you don’t like seeing your club being belittled.

New Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has been talking trash on your squad.

[RELATED: Can United challenge for the PL?]

On Monday, Van Gaal received a lifetime achievement award at the Netherlands Footballer of the Year gala and in a speech, the Dutchman opened up about plenty of things.

The main piece of news to come from that was van Gaal talking smack on Spurs. Read his comments below in full, as the fiery 63-year-old boss revealed that Spurs offered almost as much money as United to be their new boss.

However, it seems as though LVG didn’t want the ‘easy’ life Spurs would have given him. Ouch.

“No, I don’t regret taking this job. Yes, it is a massive job I have taken on at Manchester United. I realize that. And the situation is not worse than I thought – I knew what I would find on my plate,” van Gaal said. “I could have opted for an easier job. If I had gone to Tottenham, the job would not have been as enormous as here at United. I could have easily gone to Spurs. But I chose the biggest challenge of all the jobs in football. And I really wanted to join the number one club in the country, not Tottenham. Financially, Tottenham was kind of as attractive as Man United. But, in my eyes, Man United is still the number one club in England, Tottenham really is not.”

Below are a few more snippets from LVG, who gave plenty of interesting insight while speaking in his homeland.

Van Gaal also spoke about how he needs a little bit of luck:

“Look, don’t be fooled. Every manager loves recognition and appreciation. So do I – if I don’t get any applause, I would not be able to keep going for so long as a manager. Nobody can. But you also need a bit of luck. I have been lucky in the beginning of my career. Ajax wanted to sack me halfway in my first season at the club. But they kept believing in me, and look what happened.”

On finishing his coaching career at United:

“I want to end my big coaching career here, at Manchester United. I really want to bring the championship here to the people of Man United. Those smiles on the faces come when my computer expert, who combines the good things of a game on a DVD, puts great music with those great football moments. I love that more than anything.”

On not having a break between coaching Holland this summer, then United:

“I don’t regret, either, the fact that I rushed straight from the World Cup to my new job in Manchester. I can handle all that. I have the energy. And the players and the club give me energy. I think it is fantastic that I have so much work on my plate. It means I have a lot to do and I am capable of doing it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion

Sep 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Lampard Getty Images

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an in-depth look at the incredible storylines from the PL during Week 5.

2. Men in Blazers podcast: A Night of 1,000 Stars

Sep 22, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT

IMG_9209_edit_facebook

Rog and Davo welcomed guest after guest for a very special pod.

3. Manuel Pellegrini accuses Chelsea of being a “small team”

Sep 22, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT

Manchester City v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

Pellegrini on City’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea: “I think we played 90 minutes against a small team trying to defend.”

4. Report: Sami Khedira to seal $20 million Arsenal move in January

Sep 22, 2014, 8:32 AM EDT

sami_khedira Getty Images

German midfielder would be exactly what Arsenal need. Will he arrive in January?

5. Report: West Ham join QPR in chase for Toronto’s Jermaine Defoe

Sep 22, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT

jermain_defoe Getty Images

Will Defoe be heading back to England at the end of the 2014 MLS season? Reports suggest its likely.

6. MLS Sunday review: Toronto FC ease to victory against lowly Chivas USA

Sep 22, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT

toronto_fc AP

Toronto FC vs. Chivas USA was the only MLS match to occur on Sunday.

7. La Liga and Serie A roundup: Real Madrid smokes Deportivo, Juve downs Milan

Sep 22, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT

cristiano_ronaldo AP

Roundup of Serie A and La Liga matches from the weekend.

8. Manchester City’s Zabaleta believes Diego Costa luckily escaped red card

Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT

manchester-city-pablo-zabaleta Getty Images

Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta thinks the referee let Diego Costa off without a red card during their encounter that spurred a red card for the Argentine.

9. Barcelona stays undefeated with 5-0 drubbing of Levante

Sep 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT

FC Barcelona v SL Benfica - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Barcelona beat Levante 5-0 on Sunday to continue their winning streak in all competitions.

10. Joe Hart’s Manchester City future in limbo, Liverpool may target the goalkeeper

Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT

Can England start to churn out talents such as Joe Hart from SGP on a regular basis? Getty Images

Manchester City goalie Joe Hart confirmed that he hadn’t discussed a new contract with the club, and Liverpool is a prime candidate for his services, according to the Metro.

11. Merseyside police to explore racist comments at Mario Balotelli

Sep 21, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT

hi-res-133f09d31924ea9d682e1f1a8a3ffef1_crop_north Getty Images

More racism was thrown at Mario Balotelli, but this time, it appears law enforcement will get involved.

12. Mesut Ozil, Danny Welbeck brandish skills in 3-0 win over Aston Villa

Sep 21, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT

Mesut Özil returns for Arsenal as they attempt to reclaim the top of the Premier League table with a win over Stoke. AP

Mesut Ozil and Danny Welbeck scored and assisted each other during the Gunners 3-0 win over Aston Villa.

13. WATCH: Alessandro Florenzi embraces grandmother in stands after goal

Sep 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Unknown Getty Images

Alessandro Florenzi hugged and kissed his grandmother in the Stade Olimpico stands following his goal in AS Roma’s 2-0 victory over Cagliari.

14. Roberto Martinez on Crystal Palace loss: ‘We didn’t have that real drive about us’

Sep 21, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT

Martinez AP

Everton manager Roberto Martinez laments loss to Crystal Palace, saying that his squad lost its drive for victory.

15. Daniel Sturridge reacts to Lampard’s equalizer against Chelsea

Sep 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Lampard Getty Images

One England international paid respects to another as a legend scored an emotional goal for his new team against his old.

16. Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

Lampard AP

We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.

17. Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT

Zabaleta AP

Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.

18. Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Visitors overwhelm Goodson with deadly counters (video)

Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

PalaceEverton

Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.

19. Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter

Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT

Balotelli AP

Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.

Week 5: Top five Premier League goals