Louis van Gaal reveals past offers, trash talks Tottenham Hotspur

Sep 3, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

louis_van_gaal AP

Tottenham Hotspur fans, avert your eyes if you don’t like seeing your club being belittled.

New Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has been talking trash on your squad.

[RELATED: Can United challenge for the PL?]

On Monday, Van Gaal received a lifetime achievement award at the Netherlands Footballer of the Year gala and in a speech, the Dutchman opened up about plenty of things.

The main piece of news to come from that was van Gaal talking smack on Spurs. Read his comments below in full, as the fiery 63-year-old boss revealed that Spurs offered almost as much money as United to be their new boss.

However, it seems as though LVG didn’t want the ‘easy’ life Spurs would have given him. Ouch.

“No, I don’t regret taking this job. Yes, it is a massive job I have taken on at Manchester United. I realize that. And the situation is not worse than I thought – I knew what I would find on my plate,” van Gaal said. “I could have opted for an easier job. If I had gone to Tottenham, the job would not have been as enormous as here at United. I could have easily gone to Spurs. But I chose the biggest challenge of all the jobs in football. And I really wanted to join the number one club in the country, not Tottenham. Financially, Tottenham was kind of as attractive as Man United. But, in my eyes, Man United is still the number one club in England, Tottenham really is not.”

Below are a few more snippets from LVG, who gave plenty of interesting insight while speaking in his homeland.

Van Gaal also spoke about how he needs a little bit of luck:

“Look, don’t be fooled. Every manager loves recognition and appreciation. So do I – if I don’t get any applause, I would not be able to keep going for so long as a manager. Nobody can. But you also need a bit of luck. I have been lucky in the beginning of my career. Ajax wanted to sack me halfway in my first season at the club. But they kept believing in me, and look what happened.”

On finishing his coaching career at United:

“I want to end my big coaching career here, at Manchester United. I really want to bring the championship here to the people of Man United. Those smiles on the faces come when my computer expert, who combines the good things of a game on a DVD, puts great music with those great football moments. I love that more than anything.”

On not having a break between coaching Holland this summer, then United:

“I don’t regret, either, the fact that I rushed straight from the World Cup to my new job in Manchester. I can handle all that. I have the energy. And the players and the club give me energy. I think it is fantastic that I have so much work on my plate. It means I have a lot to do and I am capable of doing it.”

Latest Posts
  1. MLS Snapshot: Colorado Rapids 1-1 FC Dallas

Apr 25, 2015, 12:21 AM EDT

Colorado Rapids vs Columbus Crew Colorado Rapids vs Columbus Crew

FC Dallas took the lead into halftime, but a second half red card to Blas Perez let Colorado sneak back for a point.

2. Tony Pulis: I’m more than just an escape artist

Apr 24, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT

Crystal Palace v West Bromwich Albion - Premier League Getty Images

Tony Pulis is known for turning around struggling clubs, but the West Brom manager says he is more than just a last resort.

3. MLS Snapshot: Chicago Fire 1-0 New York City FC

Apr 24, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT

Toronto FC v Chicago Fire Getty Images

David Accam’s first MLS goal was enough for Chicago to down a NYCFC side that played more than 60 minutes a man down.

4. Americans Abroad preview: Howard and Guzan face Manchester opposition

Apr 24, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT

Everton v Burnley - Premier League Getty Images

Tim Howard takes on his former club Manchester United, while Brad Guzan looks to keep Manchester City off the scoresheet.

5. Tottenham looking to sell Adebayor at season’s end

Apr 24, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-FA CUP-TOTTENHAM-LEICESTER Getty Images

Finding a club to pay his $150,000 per week wages is the only problem for Spurs.

6. Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool

Apr 24, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT

Aston Villa v Liverpool - FA Cup Semi-Final Aston Villa v Liverpool - FA Cup Semi-Final

The Baggies must defend The Hawthorns as Liverpool is barely clinging on to top-four dreams.

7. Hull City players face pay cuts up to 50-percent if relegated

Apr 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Swansea City v Hull City - Premier League Getty Images

Clinging onto safety in the Premier League, Hull City players now have some added incentive to avoid the drop.

8. Van Gaal: Ryan Giggs will be the next manager at Manchester United

Apr 24, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT

Manchester United Training and Press Conference Manchester United Training and Press Conference

Still in his first season as manager at Old Trafford, LVG has already endorsed his top assistant to be the next in line.

9. Premier League Preview: Manchester City vs. Aston Villa

Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT

Can Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa continue their climb up the table at the Etihad?

10. SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS

Apr 24, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Joe Prince-Wright sat down with the Southampton defender to see how the Saints’ skipper has evolved into one of the best center-backs in the Premier League.

11. VIDEO: PST Extra asks if Liverpool, Manchester City should get new managers

Apr 24, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Liverpool v Manchester City Getty Images

In the latest PST Extra we take a quick look at why whispers about managers losing their jobs at Liverpool, Man City are getting louder.

12. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine

Apr 24, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

Chelsea v Burnley - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores in the PL this weekend.

13. Could Tottenham share their stadium with an NFL team? Here’s how it will work

Apr 24, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT

SPURSSTADIUM1

Spurs are reportedly in talks with the NFL about housing a franchise in their new stadium.

14. VIDEO: PST Extra picks Premier League’s Best XI from 2014-15 season. Agree?

Apr 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

What do you think of these 11 players getting Team of the Year honors?

15. WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34

Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 34.

16. Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea

Apr 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

WengerMourinho Getty Images

Mourinho stirs the pot before huge clash with Arsenal on Sunday.

17. Premier League Preview: Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 24, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Can Saints get revenge on Pochettino as he returns to St Mary’s? Watch live, Saturday, 7:45 a.m ET.

18. Injury update on Chelsea’s Diego Costa. Is he fit for London derby vs. Arsenal?

Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Chelsea v Liverpool - Capital One Cup Semi-Final: Second Leg Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has delivered an update on Costa’s progress ahead of Sunday’s big game.

19. Pochettino: Avoiding Europa League could help Spurs make Champions League next year

Apr 23, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT

Mauricio Pochettino, Tottenham Hotspur FC Getty Images

Mauricio Pochettino feels that any team not having to contend with Europa League has a better chance of qualifying for Champions League.

Should Chelsea be more entertaining?