Louis van Gaal reveals past offers, trash talks Tottenham Hotspur

Sep 3, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

louis_van_gaal AP

Tottenham Hotspur fans, avert your eyes if you don’t like seeing your club being belittled.

New Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has been talking trash on your squad.

[RELATED: Can United challenge for the PL?]

On Monday, Van Gaal received a lifetime achievement award at the Netherlands Footballer of the Year gala and in a speech, the Dutchman opened up about plenty of things.

The main piece of news to come from that was van Gaal talking smack on Spurs. Read his comments below in full, as the fiery 63-year-old boss revealed that Spurs offered almost as much money as United to be their new boss.

However, it seems as though LVG didn’t want the ‘easy’ life Spurs would have given him. Ouch.

“No, I don’t regret taking this job. Yes, it is a massive job I have taken on at Manchester United. I realize that. And the situation is not worse than I thought – I knew what I would find on my plate,” van Gaal said. “I could have opted for an easier job. If I had gone to Tottenham, the job would not have been as enormous as here at United. I could have easily gone to Spurs. But I chose the biggest challenge of all the jobs in football. And I really wanted to join the number one club in the country, not Tottenham. Financially, Tottenham was kind of as attractive as Man United. But, in my eyes, Man United is still the number one club in England, Tottenham really is not.”

Below are a few more snippets from LVG, who gave plenty of interesting insight while speaking in his homeland.

Van Gaal also spoke about how he needs a little bit of luck:

“Look, don’t be fooled. Every manager loves recognition and appreciation. So do I – if I don’t get any applause, I would not be able to keep going for so long as a manager. Nobody can. But you also need a bit of luck. I have been lucky in the beginning of my career. Ajax wanted to sack me halfway in my first season at the club. But they kept believing in me, and look what happened.”

On finishing his coaching career at United:

“I want to end my big coaching career here, at Manchester United. I really want to bring the championship here to the people of Man United. Those smiles on the faces come when my computer expert, who combines the good things of a game on a DVD, puts great music with those great football moments. I love that more than anything.”

On not having a break between coaching Holland this summer, then United:

“I don’t regret, either, the fact that I rushed straight from the World Cup to my new job in Manchester. I can handle all that. I have the energy. And the players and the club give me energy. I think it is fantastic that I have so much work on my plate. It means I have a lot to do and I am capable of doing it.”

Latest Posts
  1. VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League

Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST

Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?

2. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

3. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

4. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

5. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

6. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

7. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

8. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

9. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

10. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

11. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

12. Paul Mitchell named Tottenham’s new head of recruitment

Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

Paul Mitchell

The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.

13. Arsenal 2-0 Dortmund: Sanogo and Sanchez send the Gunners through to the Knockout Stage

Nov 26, 2014, 4:43 PM EST

Arsenal FC v Borussia Dortmund - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

It was an upbeat display from the Gunners, who move on to the Champions League knockout stage.

14. Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope

Nov 26, 2014, 4:42 PM EST

Reds cough up late goal, but can still advance to the last 16 of the UCL with a win over Basel in their final group game.

15. VIDEO: Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo scores 71st Champions League goal

Nov 26, 2014, 4:10 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL FBL-EUR-C1-BASEL-REAL

Watch Ronaldo go level with Raul as he puts some pressure on Messi.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday