Sep 3, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Robin van Persie isn’t worried about losing his place in the Manchester United lineup to Radamel Falcao. Not at all.
In fact, the Dutch forward has fired a warning short towards his new teammate.
[RELATED: Can United challenge for PL?]
Speaking to Fox Sports NL ahead of the Netherlands’ friendly vs. Italy on Thursday, RVP was pleased with Falcao’s Deadline Day arrival but warned the Colombian that he must fight for his place in the team at Old Trafford
“I welcome his arrival, he makes us better,” Van Persie said. “At a top club you should always go for the best, which also fits my philosophy. Falcao must fight for his place, as I also have to. We must duke with Wayne Rooney and James Wilson to see who is playing.”
Van Persie, 31, also put to bed the lingering rumors that he is set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines and requires surgery. Contrary to reports, RVP isn’t heading to a hospital bed anytime soon.
“I am impressed that people can pick up the imagination to invent something like that,’ van Persie said. “I do not know where it comes from and can say with my hand on my heart that I won’t be in a hospital to have the operation.”
There you have it.
[RELATED: How will United line up?]
When United line up against Queens Park Rangers on Sept. 14 at Old Trafford, Louis van Gaal will have RVP, Wayne Rooney and Falcao to choose from up top. Following the Deadline Day capture of Falcao and Daley Blind, plus the arrival of Marcos Rojo, Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera and Angel Di Maria this summer, United’s lineup will look drastically different in the coming weeks and months.
The question is, will Falcao be a regular? For that matter, what about van Persie?
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 2
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 11
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0