Sep 4, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
On Thursday Manchester United confirmed that new center back Marcos Rojo can now play for the club.
Rojo, 24, signed for the Red Devils from Sporting Lisbon for $27 million earlier this month but has not yet played due to visa issues with the UK Border Agency.
[RELATED: Rojo signs for Man United]
The Argentine center back has been sorting things out at the embassy in Madrid but has now been given the green light to start his career in Manchester. The issue surrounding his visa application was due to an altercation Rojo had with a neighbor back in 2010. The center back has been indicted and is currently awaiting a trial but until then, he is able to play for his new club.
United’s new defender is now able to make his debut, which could come against Queens Park Rangers on Sunday Sept. 14 at Old Trafford.
Here’s the statement from United’s website, as another new face is now available for Louis van Gaal to select.
The UK Border Agency has agreed to grant new Manchester United signing Marcos Rojo a visa and the defender will therefore be available for the Reds’ next game against QPR on 14 September.
Rojo completed his move to Old Trafford from Sporting Lisbon on 20 August but the requirement to obtain a visa has thus far prevented the 24-year-old from making his debut.
There was no such delay for fellow Argentinian arrival Angel Di Maria, who already has an Italian passport as one of his grandparents is from Italy.
Rojo qualified for a (separate) work permit automatically by virtue of having played in more than 75 per cent of Argentina’s competitive internationals over the last two years.
- CSKA Moscow 2-2 Manchester City: Citizens blow 2-0 lead, Champions League hopes in ruin 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer power rankings: Did Seattle, DC leapfrog LA? 0
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: Heavy on Eastern Conference nominees 0
- Premier League player of the week – Round 8 0
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 1
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0