Sep 4, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Now that the summer transfer window is over, it’s time to get the calculator out and see who came out as the big winners and losers, financially.
[RELATED: Every Deadline Day deal]
[RELATED: Grading PL teams business]
Below is a ranking of the 20 PL teams by the total amount they spent on transfer fees alone this summer.
In parenthesis is their total net spend (described as ‘loss’) or the profit they made with their transfer dealings.
It makes for interesting viewing, as only four PL teams made a profit this summer when all was said and done. Anyway, take a sift through the list below and see which teams burned the most Benjamin’s.
PREMIER LEAGUE CLUBS RANKED BY MONEY SPENT ON TRANSFERS, SUMMER 2014-15
1. Manchester United – $278.7 million spent ($218.7 million loss)
2. Liverpool – $218.3 million spent ($84 million loss)
3. Arsenal – $146 million spent ($123.8 million loss)
4. Chelsea – $140 million spent ($14.1 million profit)
5. Manchester City – $114 million spent ($65.4 million loss)
6. Southampton – $105 million spent ($66.8 million profit)
7. Queens Park Rangers – $67.8 million spent ($39.5 million loss)
9. Tottenham Hotspur – $60.1 million spent ($3.3 million loss)
9. Hull City – $59.6 million spent ($32.7 million loss)
10. Everton – $57.8 million spent ($54.7 million loss)
11. Newcastle United – $47.5 million spent ($24.2 million loss)
12. West Ham United – $46.2 million spent ($39.9 million loss)
13. Swansea – $38. 6 million spent ($3.9 million profit)
14. Sunderland – $27 million spent ($13.7 million loss)
15. West Brom – $23 million spent ($19.6 million loss)
16. Crystal Palace – $22.7 million spent ($20.1 million loss)
17. Leicester City – $19.9 million spent ($19.9 million loss)
18. Burnley – $12.7 million spent ($12.7 million loss)
19. Aston Villa – $12.2 million spent ($10.4 million loss)
20. Stoke City – $4.4 million spent ($0.98 million profit)
Jul 31, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
The leaked images of United’s kit were the real McCoy, and the Red Devils white-cuffed kits are pretty sharp.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
What’s 5,000 or so miles amongst fans?
Jul 31, 2015, 8:14 PM EDT
Guardiola can erase a minor Bayern demon with his first Super Cup win on Saturday versus Wolfsburg.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT
In the PDL, Seattle Sounders U-23, New York Red Bulls U-23, K-W United and Ocala Stampede are left, while the NPSL has New York Cosmos B, Chattanooga FC, Indiana Fire and CD Aguiluchos USA remaining.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Arsenal looks to win its second-straight Community Shield, something that only Manchester United has been able to do since 2000.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT
Dick Advocaat is hoping familiarity will combine with a couple buys to help Sunderland avoid a relegation fight for the 1st time in a while.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
In a BBC feature, Bill Peterson makes it clear he thinks the desire for pro/rel is real.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Johannsson had already said he wants to play Stateside in “his prime”, but a Yahoo Sports report said his desires have obstacles.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
The Lions will continue to play at the Citrus Bowl until the new venue is completed.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
Is this the case of a 33-year-old who’s over the hill, or can he return to the form which saw him score double-digit goals and assists?
Jul 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Will the Saints keep marching up the PL standings? Maybe a European campaign will derail their progress?
Jul 31, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
After signing nine new players this summer, is Sherwood taking a gamble?
Jul 31, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Here’s the latest gossip from around the PL.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Can the Potters build on their best-ever PL finish last season? The top eight is a possibility for Hughes’ side.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
Blues boss compliments Gunners, gives update on injured duo ahead of Community Shield match.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT
Soaking in the atmosphere on a special night at St Mary’s, as Saints’ Europa League campaign began.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Terry: “Regardless of what people say, you can’t take away what I have won and done in the game.”
Jul 31, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT
Gunners keep experienced duo around, as Walcott decides to stay at the Emirates.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
Louis van Gaal seems to have misplaced his club’s $90 million investment, purchased just 12 months ago.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
With three attacking signings already made this summer, Balotelli and Borini look destined to leave Liverpool before the transfer deadline.
- Manchester United, adidas unveil kits with “smashing” photos 0
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 1
- FA Community Shield preview: Will Arsenal or Chelsea claim the season’s first reward? 1
- Jose Mourinho issues Chelsea injury update; believes Arsenal can win Premier League 0
- After 12-year absence, Southampton wholeheartedly embrace European return 1
- Theo Walcott signs lucrative four-year contract at Arsenal; Cazorla extends 0