Sep 4, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Manchester United fans, stop salivating.
Your new $99 million man, Angel di Maria, had himself quite the night in Dusseldorf on Wednesday. My word.
Di Maria single-handedly tore World Champions Germany apart as Argentina raced into a 4-0 lead. Di Maria assisted on the first three, then scored a stylish dink himself to cap a wonderful individual display in the 4-2 victory.
[RELATED: Di Maria gone wild: Angel lights up Germany]
Watch the video above to see Di Maria’s magic, as the man nicknamed “noodle” in Argentina, weaved his way in and out of Germany’s defense. For the first goal, he bent a beautiful cross to Sergio Aguero with the outside of his left foot. For the second he picked out Tottenham’s Erik Lamela perfectly, then for the third he whipped in a great free kick that Swansea City’s Federico Fernandez headed home.
So, without the injured Lionel Messi, Argentina ripped Germany apart as the two teams squared off in a rematch of the World Cup final in Brazil. Could that outcome have been different if Di Maria wasn’t injured for the final earlier this summer? On this showing, absolutely.
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy 1
- MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 0-1 Sporting Kansas City 2
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top 1
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 4