Sep 4, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Manchester United fans, stop salivating.
Your new $99 million man, Angel di Maria, had himself quite the night in Dusseldorf on Wednesday. My word.
Di Maria single-handedly tore World Champions Germany apart as Argentina raced into a 4-0 lead. Di Maria assisted on the first three, then scored a stylish dink himself to cap a wonderful individual display in the 4-2 victory.
[RELATED: Di Maria gone wild: Angel lights up Germany]
Watch the video above to see Di Maria’s magic, as the man nicknamed “noodle” in Argentina, weaved his way in and out of Germany’s defense. For the first goal, he bent a beautiful cross to Sergio Aguero with the outside of his left foot. For the second he picked out Tottenham’s Erik Lamela perfectly, then for the third he whipped in a great free kick that Swansea City’s Federico Fernandez headed home.
So, without the injured Lionel Messi, Argentina ripped Germany apart as the two teams squared off in a rematch of the World Cup final in Brazil. Could that outcome have been different if Di Maria wasn’t injured for the final earlier this summer? On this showing, absolutely.
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 0
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 1
- United States defeats Germany, advances to Women’s World Cup final 12
- Reports: Galaxy on verge of landing El Tri star Dos Santos as “core player” 8
- Report: Sepp Blatter will not attend Women’s World Cup final 0
- Nigel Pearson fired as manager by Leicester City 2