Sep 5, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
The BBC is reporting that Liverpool star striker Daniel Sturridge left England training with an ankle injury and was sent for a scan.
He will not play in England’s Euro qualifier on Monday, and is questionable for Liverpool’s next few fixtures.
In just the latest example sure to ignite the ‘club or country’ debate, Sturridge was hurt Friday and the extent of the is obviously unknown.
Sturridge has scored once in three matches for Liverpool this young Premier League season after two big seasons at Anfield that saw him score 35 goals in 49 games.
The concerns will be major if Sturridge is absent for England or Liverpool. England’s strike force for Monday’s Euro 2016 qualifier with Switzerland also includes Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck and Rickie Lambert, while Lambert is also in Liverpool’s corps of forwards with Mario Balotelli and Fabio Borini.
Sturridge has faced injury trouble already this summer, sent home from Liverpool’s trip to the United States this summer with a hamstring ailment. He played in 29 Premier League contests last season.
- Official: Miguel Herrera fired by Mexico days after Gold Cup win, alleged attack on journalist 10
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Benzema to Arsenal, Berahino to Tottenham 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Chelsea 1
- Russian president Vladimir Putin believes Sepp Blatter deserves Nobel Prize 6
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 2
- Amid reports of journalist brawl, Mexico boss Miguel Herrera looks ahead to USMNT showdown 10