Archives › Jeff Kassouf
Jun 16, 2013, 2:02 AM EDT
Abby Wambach wants to hurry up and break Mia Hamm’s all-time scoring record so that everyone will stop talking about the chase. In the waning moments of the United States women’s national team’s 4-1 win over Korea Republic on Saturday, Wambach capped off the scoring by finishing a penalty kick drawn by Alex Morgan. That…
Jun 15, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
There aren’t many firsts anymore for Abby Wambach. She’s the second all-time leading international goal-scorer in women’s soccer, three tallies away from tying U.S. legend and former club and country teammate Mia Hamm. Three goals from ending all the hype and getting back to the bigger picture: the team. ”I’m sure I’m going to be…
Jun 9, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
It’s fitting that Abby Wambach’s week started in Canada. With all the attention on the star U.S. striker centered around #ChasingMia — Wambach’s 155 goals are three off the all-time international mark held by Mia Hamm, a record that will inevitably fall in the coming weeks or months — the bigger picture for the reigning…
Jun 7, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
Nothing can erase what Sydney Leroux has gone through this week – nor what she says she endured at 2012 Olympic qualifying in Vancouver last January. The Boston Breakers and U.S. international forward was the recipient of some ugly, racially-charged tweets over the past six days after scoring in Sunday’s 3-0 win over Canada, the…
May 31, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
‘Rivalry’ is a funny word. It instantly sparks an emotional reaction; it’s polarizing. A rivalry exists between two parties that not only don’t get along, but have a history of encounters. To get technical, a rivalry is a “competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.” By nature, rivalries can’t be…
May 3, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
In a league with eight clubs and a 22-game schedule for each team, there’s always a chance at redemption for a result that may have previously slipped away. For Seattle Reign FC, the wait to turn the table on FC Kansas City is a mere seven days. On Saturday, the two teams face off for…
Apr 27, 2013, 11:17 PM EDT
ROCHESTER, N.Y. — Since the NWSL schedule was released in mid-February, Saturday was supposed to be about Abby Wambach’s first home game with her hometown team, the Western New York Flash. Instead, it was the Heather O’Reilly show. The Boston Breakers midfielder scored once in each half to to lift her team to a 2-1…
Apr 26, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
The walkway to the main gate of Sahlen’s Stadium in Rochester, N.Y. is called Wambach Way, a reminder of just how endeared Abby Wambach is in Rochester. And that was dedicated before Wambach was even part of a team that would be playing there, never mind before a league even officially existed. She’s an A-list…
Apr 26, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
The league’s back to a full schedule, with Western New York’s home opener highlighting a four-match weekend.
Apr 13, 2013, 5:39 AM EDT
Boston’s back for third go in a U.S. women’s professional soccer league.
Apr 13, 2013, 3:39 AM EDT
A young attack must come through for Washington to be competitive.
Apr 12, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
Abby Wambach will try to bring another title to their hometown team.
Apr 12, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
New Jersey’s own kick off our capsules of this year’s NWSL franchises.
Mar 16, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
HARRSION, N.J. – Bill Hamid gave most of the credit to his back line, but the DC United goalkeeper was the primary reason his team walked away from Red Bull Arena with a point in Saturday’s 0-0 draw with the New York Red Bulls. Hamid put an emphatic stamp on the match in stoppage time,…
Mar 16, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
HARRISON, N.J. – The New York Red Bulls and DC United played to a 0-0 draw at Red Bull Arena on Saturday in a game the home side dominated everywhere but the scoreboard. New York dictated large stretches of the match, out-shooting DC 24-4 and controlling 57 percent of the game’s possession. Fabian Espindola hit…
Mar 5, 2013, 8:15 AM EDT
Adding perspective to some of the Round 1 MLS matches:
Mar 2, 2013, 6:07 PM EDT
Big days for Graham Zusi and Claudio Bieler as the visitors rule in Major League Soccer’s 2013 opener:
Oct 23, 2012, 11:29 PM EDT
EAST HARTFORD, Conn. — It’s very tempting to discuss how big a role the field played in Tuesday’s 2-2 draw between the United States women’s soccer team and Germany. The slick turf at Rentschler Field directly led to Germany’s first goal in the 48th minute and it nearly re-gifted the favor to Abby Wambach 11…
Oct 23, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
EAST HARTFORD, Conn. — Dzsenifer Marozsan spoiled the already soggy evening for the U.S. on Tuesday at Rentschler Field with her 85th minute strike to give Germany its second tie in four days with the U.S. women’s soccer team. The U.S. had to settle for a 2-2 result. Marozsan scored on a laser of a…
Oct 23, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Saturday’s 1-1 draw in Chicago between Germany and the United States took 45 minutes to open up, but the second half finally looked like the world-class match-up it was supposed to be. That second half energy should continue in Tuesday’s rematch in Hartford (live on NBC Sports Network at 7:30 p.m. ET) now that these…
- Jozy Altidore the hero as the U.S. beats Honduras 1-0 1
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 1
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public