Archives › Euro 2012
Jun 8, 2012, 6:47 PM EDT
Recapping the opening day of play in Group A: Team of the day; what we’ll remember; three lessons to take home; “power” rankings and “more powerful” rankings.
Jun 8, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
Russia turned back the clock to 2008 with a rousing performance in Wroclaw, routing the Czech Republic to open their Group A account.
Jun 8, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Poland let an opening match win slip through their hands as Greece, at one point down a man, stormed back in the second half to earn an opening day point.
Jun 8, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
If you still haven’t made your picks for UEFA European Championships, maybe at this point you eschew the research and just trust the guys who really know – the oddsmakers:
Jun 8, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
It’s really, actually here. Euro 2012 kicks off today in Poland with the co-hosts facing Greece ahed fo Russia’s meeting with the Czech Republic.
Jun 7, 2012, 8:18 PM EDT
From Euro 2012, Netherlands captain Mark van Bommel says he will lead his team off the field during a match if they are racially abused, as they allegedly were during Thursday’s training session.
Jun 7, 2012, 11:23 AM EDT
UEFA officials simply cannot get out from beneath their choice to hold the showpiece tournament, the European Championship, on the continent’s Eastern side.
Jun 7, 2012, 7:55 AM EDT
The Three Lions striker is back in England, his availability in doubt for his country’s Opener at Euro 2012:
Jun 6, 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
Five days before England starts its Euro 2012, scrutiny continued to intensify on manager Roy Hodgson, while prominent voices are speaking out against his omission of Rio Ferdinand.
Jun 5, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
After all this, John Terry might not play against France? It’s like rain on your wedding day.
Jun 5, 2012, 5:52 PM EDT
Daniele de Rossi could start in central defense for Italy against Spain, which is nowhere near as weird as I’d like to make it sound.
Jun 5, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Rio Ferdinand should have gone off when England’s 23-man squad was announced, but with the Three Lions bringing two other defenders into the squad as injury replacements, now is the time to start highlighting Roy Hodgson’s hypocrisy.
Jun 4, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Who is the oldest manager ever to lead a nation during a European Championship? Let’s find out:
Jun 4, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
ESPN Classic will help you warm up for Euro 2012 by reaching into the files of recent European Championship greatness.
Jun 4, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
Jurgen Klinsmann says its tournament title or bust for the team he once coached. Anything else will be a “huge disappointment,” he contends.
Jun 3, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
Center back Gary Cahill has been ruled out of Euro 2012 after an ugly collision Saturday with goalkeeper Joe Hart left the Chelsea defender with a jaw broken in two places.
Jun 2, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
Last weekend’s pre-Euro 2012 friendlies saw a handful qualified teams walk through some mildly interesting matches. This weekend, the results were noticeably better.
Jun 2, 2012, 11:05 AM EDT
Arsenal winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, just 18, and Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck will start today against Belgium as England goes young across the front line.
Jun 1, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
Each major tournament brings the same, recycled team histories. The Guardian’s changed it up.
Jun 1, 2012, 10:22 AM EDT
How important is the Bayern Munich contingent to Germany’s upcoming Euro 2012 fortunes? Last weekend, minus the talented men from the German giants, the 2012 Champions League runner-up, Joachim Low’s team suffered a 5-3 loss to Switzerland. Just a meaningless friendly, of course, but conceding five to a middling side is going to leave a…
May 31, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Tension with the team and injuries to key players have lowered expectations around Ukraine. With no easy games in Group D, the co-hosts could be in for a disappointing tournament.
May 31, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
The draw is breaking Sweden’s way. Now it’s up to one man to take advantage of it.
May 31, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Their disaster in South Africa was only two years ago, but thanks to the work of Laurent Blanc, World Cup 2010 is ancient history for the French national team.
May 31, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
England’s national team finds itself in a rare situation: They’re entering a major tournament without any expectations. There’s a reason for that.
May 30, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Frank Lampard might be out for Euro 2012, and with the Chelsea midfielder set to be 36 by the time Brazil 2014 kicks off, we may have seen the last of Lampsy at major international tournaments.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team